Douglas Koehne's Reviews > What My Heart Wants to Tell

What My Heart Wants to Tell by Verna Mae Slone

Mar 23, 12

bookshelves: biography, history-local
Read in January, 2011

I bought this book while on vacation in Kentucky with my girls and parents. One of my favorite vacation activities is to find local bookstores selling regional literature written by local authors. What My Heart Wants to Tell is a beautiful collection of memories by Verna Mae Stone on her father and growing up in the eastern part of Kentucky back at the turn of the century. She's not poetic and won't win any writing awards, but the emotion and love in her writing speaks deeply of the pride and affection she has in her family, community, and the way of life she was surrounded by as she grew into adulthood. The small family stories she shares make you feel like you are hearing them across a fire in wintertime, no doubt just as they were passed down through her family. And the practical information she relays on how families lived and survived is just amazing. i particularly enjoyed her description of how crops and gardens were planted - very different world without grocery stores. Beautiful book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What My Heart Wants to Tell.