Malbadeen's Reviews > A Wolf at the Table

A Wolf at the Table by Augusten Burroughs

May 13, 2008

bookshelves: books-ill-never-read

I recently shared my distaste for Burroughs writing with someone that thinks highly of him. She insisted that if I heard him speak in person my opinion would be diferent. while I'm not willing to pay 27.00 to hear him speak this month, I did listent to this interview:

and now not only am I further convinced that his writing is self indulgent, rambalings; insulting in their pointedness but I also think he is:

CUCKOO! CUCKOO! CUCKOO!

and while I feel bad that his childhood was what it was I kinda sorta think he should:

GET OVER IT ALREADY!

You'd think with all the memoirs he's written, that by now he could afford a good psychiatrist?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wolf at the Table.

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill I've never read any of Augusten Burroughs' books, but I know a lot of people who are big fans, my wife included, so I did make an effort to at least see the movie version of Running With Scissors. I came away with the opinion that I really wasn't missing all that much, though it did help me rediscover the joys of a well-prepared Hamburger Helper meal (Tomato Basil Penne rules), so some good came of it, I suppose.

message 2: by Malbadeen (new) - added it

Malbadeen Your wife might enjoy the interview I linked to then, he reads extended passages from this book.

In one passage he is proving, in his mind, that his dad has contimplated killing his mom. That's the passage that made me think "CUCKOO, CUCKOO, CUCKOO"

message 3: by Jes (new)

Jes Amen sister!!! I wish I got paid to whine.

That book killed me back in the day when I would finish a book even if I couldn't stand it. Well, I am well over that unfortunate phase, thank god.