Kita's Reviews > You Against Me

You Against Me by Jenny Downham

Oct 11, 11

This book is just... WOW!

I love Downham. I just think that the sheer graphic realism included in her novels is fantastic. There's no flowery plot or smoke-screens; it's just there. As it is. No disputing. She doesn't shy away from anything so as not to offend, but then also doesn't set out to deliberately set the reader on edge. Reading it, I felt like it was real and true.

Another thing that I love about this book is that it doesn't portray people in black and white roles.
From the blurb, we gather that it's sort of going to be a mystery about who is telling the truth (Mikey's sister or Ellie's brother) and the effect that the lie (that one of them HAS to be telling) is having on innocent by-standers (their families).
In these kinds of books, we usually find that the author immediately identifies the corrupt character through a series of suspicious actions, or just the undeniable purity of the other character. In You Against Me , Downham left me at a total loss, i loved none of the characters, but i didn't hate any of them either.
No-one was completely innocent, and I mean, that's how it is in real life; there isn't any black and white, but there's a whole lot of grey.

This book is fantastic and beautiful, and real and deep. I LOVED it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Against Me.