Kerfe's Reviews > Area 51: An Uncensored History of America's Top Secret Military Base

Area 51 by Annie   Jacobsen

412055
Oct 11, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in October, 2011

Remember how your parents would never let you use "but everyone else is doing it" as justification for questionable behavior? Our government agencies love that reason!

How can it be that even the President is denied access to certain information? I'm not sure what to call it, but it is not a democracy. And it means no one's really either admitting to or taking responsibility for their behavior, which is the most frightening revelation of all.

I can't exactly say I recommend this book. But the information is important, and I read it from start to finish, even the technical stuff.

It will not help you sleep at night, that's for sure. Any paranoia about the activities and motivations of world governments, especially and including our own, will be only be magnified. You can say that the world is a walking time bomb, that those in charge are self-absorbed overgrown adolescents on a power trip with absolutely total disregard for the repercussions of their actions, but the actual documented information (and, as the author points out, what is revealed here is only the tip of the iceberg) reveals pretty much a total lack of the larger picture, or any thoughtfulness or ethical consideration, that is more chilling than any fictional armageddon.

And even more scarily, the right hand often has no idea, and I mean NO IDEA what the left hand, the head, and the big toes are doing either. What they really want is to push their own agendas, consolidate their own power, their own little fiefdoms, and keep the other guys, the competition as it were, down and in the dark.

Hence, 9/11.

And Roswell. Aliens are beside the point. The truth is stranger and far worse than conspiracy theories about men from outer space.

The enemy is in our own backyard.

We really are, in this technical world of wonders without borders, either physical or moral, actually always, always, on the brink. And there seems to be no way back to a saner place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Area 51.