Laura Summers's Reviews > Fair Game

Fair Game by Patricia Briggs

Reviewed for www.bookchickcity.com

I’ve been a huge fan of Briggs’ Mercy Thompson series for ages, but while I have read her Alpha and Omega series and enjoyed them, I’ve not loved them quite as much. That was until this book! FAIR GAME was a bit of a game changer for me, I finally fell completely in love with Charles and Anna.

The main premise of the book is Anna and Charles helping the FBI looking for a serial killer targeting werewolves. This in itself is a really interesting backdrop. The mystery, but also the overall politics of how the world is dealing with the revelation that werewolves and other supernatural beings now exist. The politics between the FBI and various different government sectors, combined with the fae and werewolves is well written and is developing a great longer term storyline.

Anna and Charles have such a lovely relationship. With Charles being so powerful, old and wise he could easily over power and dominate Anna. But he doesn’t. It’s Anna who is the expert for the FBI, Charles is just her bodyguard. He strives to encourage Anna to be the best she can be, while still getting away with quite a bit of that alpha maleness we all love so much!

Anna is an unusual heroine. She’s certainly not kick-ass, but she is a survivor and she’s definitely grown throughout the series. She’s got stronger and people continually underestimate her. She has a gentle and kind nature, but is clever and works hard to help others.

FAIR GAME has plenty of action scenes and the plot is well developed. You have the strands with the FBI, but you also have Charles with his own ghost problem and the greater exploration of how Charles and Anna’s marriage works. I really enjoy how Anna and Charles’ wolves have wills and personalities of their own within the characters. It adds an extra dynamic to things. I’m also a fan of Charles’s Indian heritage and find it equally fascinating the inclusion of magic along with their werewolf skills and abilities. Briggs is a brilliant world building and I aways adore her characters. They live and breathe in a way you can envisage them walking down the street next to you.

The story mixed action, mystery, suspense and romance beautifully. The ending is a shocker, but not in the way you think it will be. It delivers something unexpected and is a significant development for future books. I honestly cannot wait to see how that unravels.

VERDICT:

Loved this book, couldn’t put it down and the pages just kept on turning. If you’re a fan of Briggs’ Mercy books, I would urge these books a go and if you haven’t read either you definitely need to go on a book buying expedition.

RATING: 4/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fair Game.

06/15/2012 page 308