Anna's Reviews > Deadtown

Deadtown by Nancy Holzner

Oct 10, 2011

bookshelves: review-books
Read in November, 2012

My full review of the series will be up at Bite Club on 10/11/11. Here's what I had to say about book 1:

Deadtown introduces us to Victory Vaughn, aka Vicky, a Cerddorion (shapeshifter) that happens to be the only demon slayer in town, while throwing us head first into a world where zombies, vampires and werewolves are all trying to establish equal rights while living in a quarantine zone complete with checkpoints and guards. The worldbuilding alone would keep even the most seasoned urban fantasy reader fat and happy, so much imagination and vivid details, with characters that are equally unique. The mythology is amazing and I never had that feeling like I had read this story before. The action pretty much starts on page one and just keeps on going. Vicky has a snarky attitude that I love and she absolutely kicks ass. The secondary characters are interesting and fun (Juliet the vampire roommate might be the real Juliet from Shakespeare, and Tina the teen zombie will make you crazy). I only wish we were treated to more Alexander Kane, but I'll try to be understanding since he is busy defending Deadtown citizens and crusading for equality. Instead we just get a glimpse of how hot he is, and I ended book 1 predicting more hotness in the future. Vicky is a lucky lady.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadtown.