Sophia's Reviews > Colonel Fitzwilliam's Correspondence

Colonel Fitzwilliam's Correspondence by D.W. Wilkin

Oct 10, 11

bookshelves: historical-romance, jane-austen-austenesque, miltary-romance-contemp-fut-hist
Read in October, 2011

I enjoyed seeing the secondary characters become the hero and heroine. I thought it was a good plot to have the Colonel actually fighting in the war and the realism of what a man would have been like before, during, and after participating in such a string of campaigns waging on for years like that. I liked seeing the growth in the heroine. I struggled through some ponderous passages that forced me to really focus on what was actually being said. This is not a light romantic romp though it is full of humor and light angst.
Recommend!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Colonel Fitzwilliam's Correspondence.

message 51: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. I've eleven pages today, and wrapping up the chapter. I have a derelict ship adrift in space. Could the pirates have stripped it off the weapons, and load of arms it was carrying. No shots fires, and nothing to suggest killing the crew and passengers inside. Did the Secessionists take the cargo, etc? What of the company itself, did they do an insurance scam, maybe hoping to suggest the Secessionists did it? Or even worse, could the Navy have done this, hoping that the war would start now. The other side needs time to build their forces and if they are given enough time, they will be on a trajectory to at least tie. But if they navy did it that would be too cynical for many of the officers in the fleet that finds the derelict ship.

NaNo buddies are down right now, so as soon as they are up I will add you.

I started reading those two blogs you mentioned. I liked them. I have read some of the material on such people as Richard III (Kendall) Cesare Borgia (Strathern) etc...

My reading pile has grown, because I find I can't devour as much as used to with blocks of hours for writing. A few year back I read a book every other day. Not I am closing on 30 for the year. I read a lot of other stuff, but I also read and don't finish a great many things so my TBR pile is growing. I sorted some of my bookshelves this week, and have to sort it more. I uncovered and put in the right place all the cookbooks.

Thank you for the reviews, I am going to check them out after this response. I like reviews as a writer of course. I am sorry for the typos. Of the items I publish there are at least four sets of eyes looking at these things, and I have gone through it all twice and three times. I heard of an automatic site, called ERRNet which I will send my work through as well now.

I get manuscript markups and make all the typo changes that people find, but I guess not all are found.

I am glad you liked Shattered Mirror. I have put you on the RAP mailing list so the next book out, of course, you will get an email, and then my blog will also have me crowing about it. It is time for me to gently nudge my readers on the Jane Austen Ghost project and see where they are at.

Thanks again

Sophia Oooh! Derelict ship- that always creeps me out (in a good way) when I come across one in a movie or book. I'm always waiting for the nasty surprise to come jumping out. (cue music)

We can pick our own NaNo buddies? That's a relief. What do buddies do? I did not quite understand that part since I've never done this before.

I'm glad you enjoyed the blogs. I try to be careful about pushing things at people that they really aren't interested in. One of the moderators is a cyber-acquaintance and asked us to try to tell people about the blog that were interested in history so she could reach her goal of 2K+ visitors. They made it so that is good.

I got one of the long lost books that I am to review from the publisher in the mail today. Thank goodness!

Reviewing is a funny (not haha) thing. On a whim, I decided to read through other reviews to see how mine compared in quality and consistency. It was quite the eye opener for me. I tend to give people fours and on rare occasions threes. But I noticed other people flinging the fives and the poorer numbers around quite a bit.

I don't think one can take classes to learn this task and my way was to pay attention to authors reviewing/commenting on each other and my own lessons from the few writing classes I took.
When I started reviewing people's books I paid attention to regular reviewers and what they said. The ones that still makes me laugh are: that one should detest a story because it is in the first person or its too descriptive like a travelogue or there's not enough ____.

One of my favorite authors got shot down more than once for not having enough sex and violence. I'm so glad she stuck with her guns and ignored those types of reviews. Her books do not need nor would read well with those things in them. (Get a Harlequin Romance or a Steven King people if that is what you want)

I have discovered that I don't care about the 'voice' of the story, the amount of description, multiple/single plots, pace, author's philosophy, or any of the extras (language, sex, violence) as long as it is consistent and does not take away from the story. My rule of thumb has always been that once I'm immersed in a story, does anything draw me out of it or distract? And that's what I will point out in a review as an issue. So yes, that leaves me as a fairly mellow reviewer who rarely gives a negative review.

Ha! And I have no idea why I just went on a review diatribe. Oh, I know- its your fault. You thanked me for your review. (-;

I am glad you liked the review and thanks for adding me to the new release alert list (I have a terrible memory for author release dates and love it when I get a reminder from them). It is nice that you thank people for them, but I don't expect a thank you. You earned it as far as I'm concerned. Writing may be a passion, but it's still work and it takes discipline.

You have your group looking over a JA Ghost story? Maybe you can promote it and finish it for next fall- so perfect for Halloween when people are more interested in scary/spook tales.

I am plugging away Day 3 on this blog hop stuff for the library. I am pleased to say that I won two books for them already. I won several author bookmarks too, but I'm not sure how useful they will find that. I'm reading one of them before I donate it because I have never heard of the author and I am curious.

I was just thinking- just an idea (ignore if not interested). Maybe you should join one of these blog hops. There are tons of indie writers who put up a copy or e-copy of one (or several) of their books for the giveaway up on their blog sites and they get lots of viewers. Check out 'I Am a Reader Not a Writer' blog site off in the right column to see all the up and coming blog hops that are going on. It would definitely get your name out there and might even produce some more sales. Most require people to follow their blogs, FB page, Goodreads page, Twitter about them, post comments, etc with one being mandatory and the rest being good for extra entrees.

After having helped my husband with marketing his small business advertising business, I totally get what these blog hops are about. We used to go to community shows, events, businessman's breakfast/luncheons, etc. with giveaways and other materials to peddle our product just to get the name out and possibly bring in a client. Its fairly inexpensive and it works.

I just had another stray thought. I'm not sure what kind of income your job has to produce to pay the electric bill, etc, but with your computer/history/literary background are you applying for the county library jobs as an IT person? I know with all the libraries going to self-check in on the books, inventorying, etc., they need tons of savvy people. That's how my sister in law got hired. And hey, it would keep you close to the books and you already know how to recommend for taste- I've benefited from that. (-;

Then there's always USA.gov. My husband wanted this certain job with the Federal Reserve and he had to watch that website for the job postings. There are all kinds of interesting jobs there. I was so fascinated by some. I really wanted to apply for a few of my fav Nat'l Parks or for some of the archeology jobs with the BLM. My husband vetoed them all and my idea of him taking air traffic controller training and a sure job in Alaska. (Big chicken) Alaska- I ask you. What's not to like? It even came with a pay stipend for the higher cost of living. He said he didn't need my help finding a job- and he didn't. But I think my suggestions were more imaginative (and I wouldn't want him to think that I wasn't being supportive, now would I?).

message 53: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. In NaNoWriMo buddies, you will see how they progress to reach the goal.

For reviewing, though I occassionally do spoilers, I look for some things like would I reread the book. Did my disbelief become suspended, or was the writer so poor that he could not suspend my disbelief. If a series writer he is telling us new material or rehashing old.

My earliest reviews were just a few sentences, then Living Social set a goal of 150 words for a good review and I became more erudite.

I don't know anything about blog hops. I did give away 50 copies of The End of the World as an ebook over at LibraryThing. Another friend said she did as well. But then the LTers were just terrible, especially those who use Earthlink.

If they did not get the file just so, it was my fault and not theirs that there provider was denying the transmital. Then since they responded to every book whether they knew anything about the Regency or not, they were shocked at my language usage, or that they had never read a regency so they lowered their review.

Then more than half never responded to the 2 letters I had to send them that they had won, and how would they like me to send it to them.

I had a FB add that I put $100 into sending people to the Colonel Fitzwilliam site. I paid about 1.50 a click, but that didn't pay off. Not as many clicked through to buy, and to set it up at Facebook you really have to choose broad categories.

Since July I have been on about 18 interviews so things picked up, but still slow in getting that job. You are right, I would rather write full time.

The derelict ship is more a political device, than something where the creature from Alien is coming out of the walls. Our hero had to make a quick choice where the life of the one was surely more expendable than the lives of tens of thousands should he not have acted and the war that is coming would start that much earlier.

I have to add to the scene later but the dilemma I think makes the hero more complex and more heroic as he does a less than heroic action.

The idea was to keep this story to 10 chapters, and that was chapter 8, I will see if I can still wrap it up in the next two chapters. Our hero has gone from Boot camp to commander of 20 fighters aboard the Carrier, and serves as G3-Operations and Plans for the Fleet Admiral. Doing my best to position our hero as a player when it all boils over.

Sophia My goodness! You have had some terrible experiences in the book promotion department. I have not heard of this LibraryThing. Is it an event, an association, or a place?
Good grief, I had trouble with Teresa Bohannon's ebook and I just contacted her and she walked me through it. It would have never occurred to me to give her a poor review because I couldn't get the dumb thing to read english and not some cryptic stuff.

But speaking of book promotions, I found another possible promo idea for you. There's this gal on the 'GoodReads Clean Romance' page on facebook named Joyce DiPastena (she's a writer with a blogpage) who was asking for writers of historical fiction (can be romance or mystery, but no fantasy/sci-fi) to contact her if you're interested in being interviewed about your book on her blog. I thought of you instantly with your regency books.

If you're interested, she left her email address as: jdpastena@yahoo.com.

My mistake about the derelict ship. I think I prefer the scenario you are painting. I really am a whoosie about scary things.

So you are trying to decide if the hero's part in saving the ship or choosing to not save the ship to avert war will involve a less than noble act. But it will also make him more complex?

I'm trying to track with you. Forgive me if I'm not getting it. I (yes, here it comes another movie analogy) am now picturing Spock at the end of 'Wrath of Khan' saving the ship or the dad in 'White Squall' leaving his wife behind as the ship sinks to save the rest of the kids or even the guys at the Alamo holding off Santa Ana to buy time for Houston and the others. Am I close?

Just slap me! I've had a long day and my mind does truly go to pieces at times.

So a NaNoWriMo buddy is more of a cheerleader than a critiquer? You'll have to tell me how to set that up when the time comes. I only noticed a 'coming soon' drop down about that.

Well my bragging over the lovely fall is officially over. We'll have frost in the morning more than likely. My husband noticed the change before I did. He got all testy when he found the house was below sixty degrees and I hadn't switched the heat on. The things people get upset over- I told him I was saving money on the electric bill (I got a look). Ok, I'm warm blooded and I didn't notice since I was busy. Thursdays are like most people's Saturdays for me.

Now it will be leaf patrol until the last one comes fluttering down. Just a piece of practical advice- if you ever live where the leaves come down from the trees, make sure you live on the side of the street the wind is blowing FROM and not TOWARD. This is a very old neighborhood full of huge-ginormous oaks and maples (truly gorgeous colors they produce) that having just one can fill up 3 yard waste bags. I end up raking up leaves from a tree variety that does not even grow on my street let alone the leaves from my neighbor across the street.

I let the neighborhood kids jump in my piles at least once. My nosy neighbor thinks I am insane to allow it. But they do help pile it up again when they are done and we get the most leaves at this end of the street so I have towering piles to tempt them.

message 55: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. LibraryThing is a pretty good book database. I actually have liked it better than Goodreads for awhile. But the free giveaway was a disaster with some very particular readers. (This dialogue we have going is an open letter to all who want to read the thread)

I will look up Ms. DiPastena today.

The idea of the Sci-Fi is to have an arc of 5 books, book one being the lead up to the Galactic Civil War. David Weber, and Steve White wrote some great stuff (IMHO) about such events twenty years ago+ There was a game 30+ years ago called Starfire that they both played and used to figure out their battles.

A ship would have stats like SSSAAALE The S was shield The A Armor, and as it got his you crossed things off. I played that game, read the books, and the ideas as a history major have been in my head for years.

How does a civil war come about? What are the causes? What are the outcomes. Having had so many in our history, why risk it unless you can win? Look at Libya, Egypt, Syria right now.

So my hero is smart enough to study the causes, and the outcomes, to read up on military strategy, which when the Navy has only known peace and chasing pirates, it is hard to find fleet tacticians amongst them. Winifred Scott was the General of the Armies at the Start of the Civil War and had fought in 1812. 48 years before.

The starship is a point that if, like Germans dressing in Polish uniforms, could be made to seem that the enemy has done something to. I think I captured the idea and political motivations, (money, having a war can make some people very powerful, even in losing it) and though our hero does not know who is using the starship as such a device, he and his Admiral and one other can not see the not so obvious clues and thwart the evil use of the ship.

But when someone steps in the way to get things back on track and start the war sooner, one of the officers on the same side as our hero, a crisis of conscience again I think builds up our character and makes it so that he has a haunted past as we go forward. Did Hornblower throw the mad Captain down into the hold? Or did the Captain fall, in Lieutenant Hornblower?

And in my post to you, I was thinking of Wrath of Khan. I met Nimoy once. My Best Friend in High School was his godson so Spock came to the graduation party.

There is a drop down on the NaNo page which under My Nano, writing buddies. We post our daily progress and you will see how we all compare against each other. It spurs you on to get your 50K in

I think if I add you, you get an email to confirm.

It is hitting 40 at night and 80 during the day so chilly mornings and evenings, bloody hot noon.

Almost finished with chap 9, then big battle in chap 10 to finish! Clear the decks this weekend and ready on Tuesday for The Other Shoe!

Sophia Yowsers! I guess I forgot where this dialogue was occurring (hello everybody). Should this shift to an email account?

Would I like LibraryThing? Or is it a librarian/author place? I do like Good Reads. It was introduced to me by my librarian sister in law.

Ok, that explanation is helping the captain's dilemma make sense for me. I'm not a great analyst so I have to have things explained in familiar pictures or settings so I'll understand.

I don't remember about the captain and Hornblower. In fact, I was just thinking the other day that I need to re-read a few things that are very hazy for me since I read them a while ago. Good books are worth the re-read which is why I shelf them. (-;

What a lucky dog to meet Mr. Nimoy! Was he a quiet, thoughtful man like in the series/movies? or very different? I used to like his narrative voice when he did those science documentaries on PBS- was it NOVA? I cannot recall.

I read a funny blog recently from an author of the top 5 things to be learned from Star Trek. Her number one thing was: Don't be the guy in the red uniform because every guy in the red uniform other than Mr. Scott dies. There was more like- the more innocent the beings looked when they visited the planet (children); the more lethal they were. And- no matter how bad the situation, Kirk always got them out of it. I can't remember the rest.

I am relieved that Nov. 1st is coming quickly. I think I am dwelling on my story too much.
I am actually having dreams about my book characters and my story for NaNo because they are on my mind even when I'm busy with something else. I feel kind of schizo. Fortunately for my sanity, it is all still third person. (-;

message 57: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. Leonard and I met 30 years ago. I was a teenager, and he was an adult, 15 years after ST fame, so about the time of the movies and perhaps when he was directing 3 men and a baby.

He was quiet. He came as a courtesy to his godson and my friends parents, so it's my ST moment. The thing that made Hornblower stronger is in Lt. Hornblower. Other AoS heroes now have these types of dilemmas and villains chasing them. In the Weber Honor Harrington (Horatio Hornblower) she too had a nemesis, but he killed him off in the 4th or 5th book.

Now Honor is invincible and boring. There is no conflict for her soul. She will do no wrong, always win.

Redshirts. I thought that was part of urban legend now. But I made the remark a few months ago and the person looked at me blankly also. Must be that we can lose our urban legends.

I've done 9.5 pages today so far. Had some more conflict with the Secessionists, while wrapping up into the last fight with the pirates. Just setting the scene for that, why we can catch the pirates when duh... We've been telling them we are flying the combined fleets thataway for months.

A harrowing set dogfight to end the story and I can put it to rest for a while before working on book2 of it. After NaNo and some of the other projects.

Sophia It looks like you have been very productive with your writing even if you've hit a few sticking points.

I confess that sometimes I live under a rock so if there are urban legends flying around, I'm the last to hear them. I love those sites like Snopes that clarify things.

I just accidentally spammed a few friends with some bogus email and I think its from participating in that blog hop. Our emails were not supposed to be visible to people because they use that rafflecopter widget/program that only goes to the blogsite admin.
I can't think of anything else I would have participated in to cause that.

A bunch of Aussie Jane Austen fans have started the ball rolling that tomorrow is 'Talk like Jane Austen' Day. I think I'm going to have some fun with my husband (mua-ha-ha-ha). Actually, it probably won't be fun because he won't get it.

I told him once when he was in his church suit that he looked 'bang up to the knocker' just to see his reaction. He looked at me funny, scratched his head, and said 'thanks, I think'.

I read an email from the NaNo liason here in my area and they are planning a midnight writing kick off. Are they insane? My stuff would be pretty over the top if I started writing in the wee hours. Definitely not participating in that activity.

You mentioned a dogfight in your story. I used to watch that show every Friday night on the History channel. It always fascinated me. Hope you're able to wrap it up in time.

message 59: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. Finished the intro to the last battle, now right in the middle of it.

Joyce is sending me questions for the interview. So that is going. The NaNo liason a couple years wanted to host at a place that had no outlet. I thought that funny. I do my writing on the desktop iMac, 24" so it would be hard to lug around.

I cracked 4 million words today, those are the words of all the stories/books that I have tracked that I have written, over 800K this year. If I was to do this as my sole career, and it brought in the money so I could, I would want to write at least 1.5M words a year, 30K a week, which for me is 100 pages a week, 5000 a year. My pace now is something I think I might do a million words this year.

Now to finish the SciFi Novel

Sophia QUOTE FOR THE DAY: "We do not wait for inspiration. We work because we've jolly well got to. But when all is said and done, we toil at this particular job because it's turned out to be our particular job, and in a weird sort of way I suppose we may be said to like it." - Ngaio Marsh, on writing

Isn't that a great quote? I found it on Aunt Agatha's FB page and thought it would make a great beginning for NaNo.

Congratulations on your verbiage milestone and for getting the interview. You'll have to tell me where and when it posts. I'll share about it on FB and GR.

Hey! I just thought of something. Since I'm in EST, I'll be able to begin NaNo before others (but I'll have to finish sooner too). Good luck to you!

message 61: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. Use those hours wisely. I shall expect you to have pages and pages done before I begin on Tuesday morning ;)

I think if you are writing a mystery, then such a quote would be good. A mystery though is tougher to write, IMHO, (I think I am going to delete the H in that going forward and will blog about it. I am 49. I've earned the right to be less humble and more informed and opinionated.)

In a mystery the plotting has to be tight. Those clues have to lead somewhere, those red herrings have to have the appearance of being part of the murder/mystery.

Right in the middle of the dogfight now. Damaged the first wave but taking losses. The second wave is really going to have to crush out hero's squadron and make victory 'a near run thing" (If you are looking for quotes :-)

Should be done after lunch, then print it out and take a break.

Sophia I saw your posting that you finished the book. Hurrah!

And that you got a great review. Hip, hip, hurrah!

Pages and pages done? Yikes, you don't expect much. I'm kidding. Actually, I think I can be rather verbose in print so that shouldn't be a problem unless I am otherwise unable do to circumstances. However, its not the quantity, but the quality.

I saw a page on Smashwords where one can also post up their NaNo stories there and I thought at the time that putting one's work out like that might not be a grand idea.

Not long after I thought that; I found an author on one of the groups I'm in had removed her finished works from there because of her efforts being stolen. Guess that proved my point.

Trick or treat is over again! Not too many came that didn't live on the street- which can be good or bad. More candy for me or more candy for me. (-;

Drivers start your engines- yeah, tomorrow we begin NaNo. Hope I feel this way half way through. (-;

message 63: by D.w. (last edited Oct 31, 2011 06:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. I'm sitting on the front porch waiting for our first treaters or tricksters

I hear them getting close

message 64: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. 2+hours and over 300 kids. Many parents with kids who would never eat candy and kids asleep in strollers not even dressed up. I just don't see the point of these people going out.

Plotted out my nano this afternoon so ready to go tomorrow am. the scifi was about 42k in first draft. But the good news was the 5 star review today

Sophia Holy cow! 300 kids? That's amazing! I get a dozen if I'm lucky (the weather can be tricky- pun intended- here at this time of year). You must have to shop at Costco or Sam's for the onslaught.

I am breathlessly checking my emails today before I dive back into my story.

I am so pleased. So far, I have won nine books to donate to my sister in law's library from that blog hop I participated in. Most of it is young adult or paranormal, but she says those are very popular offerings- so its all good.

And, I have written six pages of storyline. I'll have to figure out how to get it to my NaNo page. I think that will involve pestering hubby to use his computer savvy. Hey, they said we should get sponsors. Mine will be more in the form of tech support. (-;

Actually, I do have family backing this as they are the ones who pushed me to do it.

My goal is to double those pages before I post. (And we all cross our fingers, roll our eyes, and sigh)

The Sci-Fi was just one part right? And it was still 42k? Way to go!
Now you'll have to be equally verbose on your NaNo write. Onward, soldier! (-;

message 66: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. 11:30 and another half hour push before lunch. First scene opens in Brooks where our hero is playing a game of Whist while a friend is bemoaning that he has fallen in love. (With our Heroine!)

I am still unsure what a blog hop is and the giving away of books.

Six pages is a great start for the first day! There is a place to put your word count at the top of the Nano page when you sign in.

More later!

Sophia I figured out how to post my numbers without help. That felt good. I got a second wind after dinner and knocked out a few more pages.

I did just what a few postings recommended. I wrote with no thought towards anything, but tossing the words down on the screen. I have always been one to write a little and re-read/re-hash before moving on (three steps forward two steps back method). I feel a little guilty, but it does go somewhat easier after a while when you just leave it rough and raw.

My story is from the same time period as yours, but mine begins in a poorly sprung and stuffy coach traveling through the rain (Brooks sounds so wondrous in comparison). I use the heroines thoughts as she suffers inner turmoil and physical discomfort to get the reader up to speed on her circumstances.

I had to laugh at my regional liason's first day letter. He quoted Jane Austen's 'Northanger Abbey'. I have good feelings for him now even if he did suggest a midnight launch.

I'm not great at explanation sometimes, but a blog hop is several bloggers uniting together to create links to each other's sites. There is then a master list put together by the host site(s) for the visitors to hop from one site to the next.
There is a theme that each blogger is encouraged to follow through their wallpaper/graphics, postings, etc such as Halloween like the one I just did. Each blogger offers some sort of giveaway item that is book related like free books, gift cards, or in one case a kindle. Some offer just one book and one winner while others offer packages of books/gift cards and multiple winners. The hoppers have the potential opportunity to win an item from however many sites participate while the bloggers receive traffic to their sites where they can promote their sites or their books.

Most hops boast about fifty or so blogs, but this one that I participated in had 425 sites to visit. And trust me the marketing strategy behind it does work. Yes, I absconded with over nine books, but I also added two pages to my Amazon wishlist of books I saw as well as bookmarked several more sites that I comment and participate in.
Oh that's what I forgot to mention. Generally to participate in the giveaways each site has their list of musts. Its as little as leave me a comment, but can go from there to join my site, 'like' the posting or my site, 'share' a posting about my site, become my friend/fan/follow me at FB or Goodreads, sign-up for my newsletter,twitter about this daily, etc. You get the point (instant blog popularity with the potential for a few to stick around afterwards). Now that you are thoroughly confused and your head is spinning like Linda Blair-

message 68: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. Look at you 7700+ words. You'll be done by the weekend!

There is something to be said for just writing, of course you do need to know the direction you are going in and the destination. If you do not know the destination, any road will take you there.

For instance, in the first chapter I finished today, I knew that I had to have a secondary character's story about his affection for the heroine and getting spurned take place while I also introduced the hero, set up his theme, of finding something to do with himself, and that he was beset by concerns of future income, and had some skills where he might secure it.

With dialogue and exposition I think I achieved these. At the end of NaNo, I'll share more with you if you like. Now as you appreciated before the month began, it is time to pedal back on your reading and give more time to your writing.

I hit 7300 words for the day finishing up the chapter, but I wanted to hit 7500, so I'll write the next 200 now.

I put in a call to the RC church, but we live so far out in the boondocks, there are no exorcists willing to come out. I guess everyone will have to live with seeing my head do 360's and projectile vomiting, speaking in tongues and looking a putrid shade of pink on occassion.

Sophia I understand what you are saying about plotting/outlining the work. I actually keep all those thoughts saved on a legal pad write next to me when I'm nattering on to my computer.

I learned the lesson of knowing where a story is going the hard way this spring. I had to rip out almost 2/3 of what I had written and I was growling at myself the whole time.

I will gladly take any advice given.

Oh don't remind me! I am absolutely snarky when I cannot read. But it is set aside for the moment.

I didn't get much work done on my story today because this is one of my busiest days. I am wide awake now though so perhaps I'll sneak in some midnight writing.

I did check your progress. You've knocked out a fair amount today. Way to go! I assume the hero is not still sitting at Brooks. My heroine has made it as far as the first meeting and conflict.

I think I slipped a few times on the authentic speech patterns. Cultured and educated for that time period, I find relatively easy. But I really need a guide or something to Kentish lower class. (-; Somehow, I don't think I'll find anything like that at Amazon. Oh well! That's something I'll have to go back to once the pressure of getting the story down in print is off my shoulders.

Have a productive Thursday! And may I ask if the priest has been out yet with his handy exorcism kit? You are so droll! (-;

message 70: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. I thought the Linda Blair reference was to the original exorcist movie.

Heroine was just cut direct at the ball.

Want to get in another 3pages today. Starting on chap 3

There are some histories on the seedier side of the Regency. I think there is a book that has cant in it, so perhaps checking into it might be useful.

More anon

message 71: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. Alright, after breaking for dinner and some TV, got to 15K.

Here is a little from the start of chap 3:

His friends had thought the desire to find something to devote his life to, at least until he took over the title from his father, to be an ill favored whim. Once Michael became Duke, then he would have a seat in Lords and could do his best to affect the course of the nation from that body. He could of course run for a seat in the House until that time, and with the money that could be spent, and his future title as a recommendation, he might actually be elected on those merits.
Michael chuckled to himself as he rode about the estate, today looking in on the farm for there was a concern that incomes had fallen short in the last accounting. The thought that because of his birth, the son of a Duke, it made him more qualified to govern the kingdom than a man of humble birth was ludicrous. A nice benefit of course, but still patently farcical. Perhaps his ancestor, the one who had done something so worthwhile that it had attracted the attention of the king was worthy of such responsibility. The lord knew his father had ventured to Lords less than a dozen times.
No, politics was not the solution for Michael, though he leaned towards helping the commons achieve the vote, but a few weeks before, the Peterloo affair had caused him to change his mind, that reform should be so quickly made. Michael did recognize that if they had just been able to address the needs of the disenfranchised earlier, the loss of life and harm to so many could have been avoided. Now, not as punishment, but as prudence, they issue needed to be addressed with great care.
‘This is how we age and become Tories,’ Michael said to himself. Surely there was a way that he could help the poor without being involved politically. The people on the estate for instance. Even those that did not have the vote, should they be treated fairly and get a better life, would they become as agitated as those in Manchester? Could he ensure that all those who were his tenants and who relied on the estate for their living be treated not only fairly, but so that their concerns were addressed as if they had the vote, it was seen to?

Sophia I got more written too, but was too lazy to repost the numbers. My goal is to finish my current chapter too.

Yes, indeed I spoke of the Linda Blair of Exorcist fame. Mind you, I have never seen the movie/read the book because the storyline terrifies me. Not a horror fan! I guess the latest holiday inspired me there.

Ouch! Your heroine received the cut direct? Mine has only been verbally accosted by a ruffian. I don't think a snub would have discouraged this guy.

I enjoyed reading your excerpt. I have trouble with the class differences they held to back then and in some countries even now. I'm not sure if it is because I am American or because I live in modern times. Michael sounds so personable. Now is he the one who cut the heroine?

I now have a better understanding of British politics and their system after reading a the last few books from a new fav author, Charles Finch. They are Victorian mysteries. His hero while being a consulting detective as a hobby was also able to first follow, then run, and then win his seat in the Commons. He got some complaints for putting it all in his books, but I loved it and told him so. He's American, but attended part of his undergrad at Oxford which he also used in one of his stores. I now understand their university system better too.

Sorry! Was following the big white bunny there with my sidelines into British politics and education.

Well must get some much needed tasks done and then I'm hitting the story again. Congrats on hitting the 15k mark! (-;

message 73: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. Our Lady Barbara received the cut direct from the hero... She had rejected an offer from one of the hero's friends, whom he has promised to treat as a brother as the friend's brother died in the hero's arms in Spain, so he walked around her when she planted herself in his path on the ballroom floor. A great Ondit for the Ton

More later today! Good work on 10K

message 74: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. Somewhere the other day I saw or heard a thing about the british class structure. It is not an upwardly mobile thing for the most part, which is why we have stories that try to break that barrier. The upper class, having all those benefits, do not marry for love (which I again the mold we break) they marry for alliance.
The lower classes, having so few benefits, can marry for love, but can't climb out of their class.

This of course changes after the Regency and in the Victorian where invention, and the aggregation of wealth change the world.

In military fiction we write about those who start as Soldiers, or Seaman and become fabulously wealthy. Sharpe was a common man, in Cornwell's books, but Wellington hated men from the ranks. Hornblower has a poor background, without influence and rises to marry a sister of Wellington in the books.

Even those who will become MPs have to have a class based education and funding to get those seats until more modern times.

The Class system I think dies after WWI when so many men from it have perished in the trenches. Writing slowed today while I was sidetracked by wife and her friend taking over the house this am. Have done 4K words, and may get in another K, before going to sleep tonight. Think it time for a stiff drink!

BTW, What is first Finch Book. Want to see about it? I am a member of the SoCal Sherlock Holmes society called Curious Colletors of Baker Street.

Sophia The first Charles Finch book is 'A Beautiful, Blue Death'. There are only four with the fifth to come out this month. That first book really does have the Sherlock Holmes feel, but then the other ones- not so much. I could see the maturing of his writing as each book has come and that is neat to see. He got a great cover illustrator. That's what caught my eye in the first place because they are so different.

Your right about how people tend to write about the class structure. Now that I think of it, the only books that chose to stick with the marry within your class (keep to the code, Pirates fans) were tragic in nature and they were generally written by contemporary authors. Some of those 'classics' should be sold with a box of tissues.

Ah, so your Lady Barbara dissed a member of the brotherhood. Well now her goose is truly cooked (at least for half the book). (-;

My hero, Captain Evelyn, just delivered a crushing speech that will hurt him more than the heroine, Miss Felton as he did it more brutally than he intended because he is angry about something else.

He needs a drink now too- maybe you should get together.

message 76: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. Based on your recommendation, I went for Beautiful Blue, but it will have to wait to be read later.

I have one of the friends, (the friend who was a spy during the war, and now has turned those skills to success on the Exchange, making a fortune) telling the Hero that the Cut Direct is now an Ondit in town. The Heir remembers everything vividly, and of course how beautiful the Heroine was. A woman because she spurned the offer of another friend, he can never know.

I hope to finish through chapter 4 today. I have to print the first ten pages to take to writers group tomorrow morning.

Let's have an excerpt from the crushing speech, and more than 40% done for the goal in 3 days! Way to go (Createspace will give you the chance to have a proof copy printed of your Nano at the end of the month, if the last couple years is any indication!)

Sophia I couldn't say if you'll like 'Beautiful Blue Death' or not. I wasn't sure I liked it at first, but when you do read it, think of it like your first taste of wine or coffee (its an acquired taste) that require more than the first sip to decide.

Uh oh! Nobody likes to be the talk of the town. Is Matthew having second thoughts now about his action?

With your writing group, is it the requirement that each member comes with 10 pages of their WIP or is that just your choice?

Aye-yi-yi! You want to see my speech. Well I'll try to post it on that site. I have so much trouble posting things. Be patient if you don't see it up on that site rightaway though I'll try.

This is going to sound very crazy, but I had trouble writing that speech and its probably not as blistering as some would write it. I have trouble with cruel words even in fiction. I already need to rip out a scene behind it because I caved in to weakness and tried to undo the Captain's decision. I need it to stay resolved for the rest of the story to work so I cannot, cannot (telling self not you) fix things this early.

Anyhoo! Yes, I am cruising right along as are you. I have a feeling that the 50K will only be a portion of the story as I am barely 1/3 of the way now.

Have you changed your excerpt on the NaNo site? Is there anything new for me to read? (-; I'm enjoying getting your story in these daily serials. It reminds me of the way the original Sherlock Holmes and Dicken's tales were published.

I have never been to a writing note. Would it be too much to ask if you could share what they say about your story pages? General stuff not specifics of course!

Well must return to work (blah) and then I'll have to remove that little moment of weakness I referred to earlier and plow onward with plans to send the Captain across the channel into France on his mission.

Hope you complete another chapter today!

Sophia Mission successful! I got the excerpt up after two tries.

I just found a nifty tool. Just in case you haven't heard of it. It helps you decide if a word you are planning to use in your historical fiction stories was in use/common use at the time. Its the Google Ngram Viewer: http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?...

I didn't try it yet, but I thought it looked helpful.

message 79: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. The hero is definitely evaluating his actions, but one must consider that he is also the son of a Duke, the heir. How many women of lower station, looking to snare such a man have thrown themselves into his path before. He may not have given such the cut direct, but he has learned that his station is such that he may avoid them.

We established at the writing group that one should have 10 new pages at least each month. Not everyone does, and over time, I emerged as the Alpha, so unless I tell them I have nothing before the meeting in the reminder email that I always send out, I always have something. Easier now that I write so much each year, but often times in the first 8 years I was writing the night before group something

One critique is that you have to write language true to the character, not true to yourself. Michael, as a man in his late 20's of the highest rank in England at the Regency is not pure. He has had lover affairs with the Drury Lane dancers, and had impure thoughts of the pretty girls who are his neighbors. It would be a lie for a healthy man who likes woman to not have such thoughts, or had such actions.

One of my group always hated to have characters who had a prior sex life, or used swear words, though the character might be the seediest of types, living in low dives and bars. We have ensured in group that she recognize when she is writing herself, instead of writing what the character's background suggests.

When I plot out a novel, I generally have at first 15 chapters, and if a novel, shooting for 20 pages to the chapter, about 6000 words each chapter, so that is 90K, but they grow and often one or 2 more chapters creep in. So the 50K guideline seems to me to be what a novella is, but also manageable for those with day jobs to reach. I think a full time writer knows they have to do more to make a book in a month, and of course one would want to go back and edit what you wrote in that month as well.

I generally don't change the excerpt at NaNo, but leave up the first few paragraphs of the opening. I will post some more here on our long correspondence blog so you can read the development as well.

Group wanted me to describe in the opening the setting of the room at Brooks, the transition better when the other players of Whist, depart so that Lord Vesey and Michael can talk more about the Heroine, or Lord Vesey's tendency to fall in love with every girl, and to contrast and comment on the physical looks of Michael so they as readers know what he looks like very quickly.

No writing today. We left before 8 and got home after 3, Cheryl went to as we visited friends for lunch after group. Will push to 30K tomorrow and post more excerpt.

message 80: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. Cloudy day with chance of a rain. Wouldn't it be nice to just read and not write today? Sigh...

Sophia I played hookie yesterday from my writing until very late. It is always a good thing to step back once in a while to gain perspective.

Thank you for sharing about your writing group. The comment about staying true to your character is timely and wise advice to me. And the discussion about how the hero would have behaved, what he knew and thought sounds interesting.

Writing about the end of the Georgian/beginning of the Regency should take into account that these people were used to the excess associated with the Georgian era and the Regency was still excessive with the Prince being the example that he was. So I could see how any normal male with leisure time and access to funds would not be sexually ignorant. It was the double standard that I always shake my head over. (-;

I smiled over the insistence for more description for Brooks. When I first read books of the period and the periods before and after, I soaked in all that background information. Now when I hear of places and activities like Brooks, Whites, Tatts, Almacks, Rotten Row, Five Inns Court, etc, my mind requires no description. I tend to not describe things when I am very familiar and assume others are too- another thing for me to be careful (which is why having someone unfamiliar makes for a good reader).

Well at least that will up the word count and maybe educate someone who might be introduced to the Regency era through your words.

A rainy day is indeed condusive to reading. I would suggest a compromise depending on your self-control with the book in question. I am conditioned to reading before bed time so even now, I get in at least a chapter a day. One of my books is for research purposes so that has been my choice of late.

Well my goal is a chapter or two today while it is quiet. (My chapters are no where near as long as yours as they are more in the 4k range.)

Onward! Go describe your card scene at Brooks in great detail right down to the silver buttons on his waistcoat (you said Duke's son, right). (-;

message 82: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. The standard of how men were treated and how woman were treated, is of course different, but the times were different as well. If you had been raised in a family that groomed you to marry and start your own family at 16 or 17, it is a much different time than now, where we IMO raise children to think of themselves as financially secure, emotionally secure, before they make the plunge into marriage.

In the Regency, the men who were many years older than their young brides were financially secure (in the TON) and the decision to marry, unlike how we portray in our novels, seemed to be about alliances and arranged marriages. If you look at the Pallisers by Trollope which is right on the heels of this period, Planty Pall marries not for love, but for the need to find a woman to one day be the duchess.

The rich don't marry for love but to keep their place in society and their great possessions. The poor don't have anything, but they can marry for love, though how long that is supposed to last is another story.

After group, I go back to my writing and make the changes I saw as I read, and then in the notes section, place the groups suggestions. I use Scrivener which use a 3x5 card analogy for each chapter. It then displays this in the upper right corner of the chapter, so I have access to my plotting. That is where I then record what group says for my rewrite.

Will be adopting there ideas later. Now I am working on how my heroine is dropped by society. She comes back from the season and finds that her BFF is her only friend for social calls. And then the BFF has set her cap at one of our Hero's set. Our Hero, and his protege live close in the country to the besty (Isobel) and so during Christmastime, Isobels family and the Hero and his friends all interacted. The Heroine lives elsewhere. Coming back to town, word not only is spreading about the cut direct, which our Hero regrets for it has brought his name forth, but all the offers that the Heroine had and turned down.

Those other spurned men added tales of their own rejections once the heroines name was being bantied about in an Ondit. Our heroine, because she is beautiful is gaining enemies that she does not deserve.

10 pages so far today. Planned to write to about 30K

Sophia You are definitely right about the wealthy and noble's view of marriage. I guess since I would have been in the lower class structure of the day; I can thank God for small blessings- no arranged marriage (though the poor had their worries too, I know). Yeoman farmer stock that would be my choice if I had to live back then.

I keep hearing about Scrivener. I like the idea of little notes being able to appear on the screen with the working text. I must do some investigating of this program later.

What a black day for your heroine! I suppose she does deserve it a little if she was cruel about turning people down or led them on. But I do pity her a little- ok a lot.
Poor hero too!

I just had my scene where a really vile man approached my heroine because he thinks by attaching himself to her it will raise his chances to be thought a gentleman. When she refuses his interest, he insinuates that she is not really her guardian's ward. Her guardian overhears the last and beats him with his fists before throwing the loser off his property. The thwarted villain gets his revenge by starting a whisper campaign. In the mean time, the guardian who is a merchant captain puts to sea not realizing what he has left the heroine to face alone as the whispers are believed and many in the town snub her.

Wow 10 pages! That is great. You will definitely have time to do revision before finally tally which will put you so far ahead. That is my goal too. My book reviews are piling up, but more than that, this story just insists on pouring out in chunks.

I got to participate in something that I have never done before last night. While my husband was off at 'Steelers Central' (as we call a friends home who loves the Steelers- everything is Steelers) for a game party. I got to visit in a chat room while we all watched the first half of the A&E Pride and Prejudice version together. Their were a dozen of us from around the country and all dedicated Janeites. It would range from deep observations about historical background, character analysis, movielore stuff to on occasion bawdy comments (girls will be girls), but I had a great time. We go it again for part two next week.

Maybe you could do something like that with your Sherlock Holmes group if you have a blogsite and have a chat room. I'd visit for sure. (-;

You'd think taking almost three hours away from a writing slot would be counter-productive to my goal, but I found it invigorated me and gave me refreshers into the Regency period.

Hope you can knock out another ten pages today.

Oh before I run back to other things and sign off. I heard from the gal who had the author blog opportunity. She is still interested in your participation. I have included her response and contact info at the end. Sorry, had trouble with the cut and paste action as I usually do.

From Debbie Brown to me:
I'd love to talk to Mr. Wilkin. The amount of traffic is not a problem- this is to boost traffic. He can friend me here (FB), tweet me @kescah or write me at kescah@gmail.com.
The set up for this thing is about 10 minutes and then it takes about 1-2 minutes a day to maintain- and it greatly increases exposure to the blogs. I hope he goes for it. :)

message 84: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. While typing yesterday's count (Wanted to get to 30K by the end of Yesterday, today 20 pages-10 done so far) The Packers game was up. Not televised so I had the play by play on the phone in front of the computer so I could see what was happening.

Messed with concentration a little.

Am contacting Debbie Brown

It was very weird on Sales. Sun-Weds last week no sales at all. Now have 4 readers for Jane Austen book, but still not one of them have given the manuscript back to me so I can input corrections and finish it up. We discusses at group what the cover should look like. I have a couple hours of work on that I may get to today when I finish Nano writing for the day

The Sherlock Holmes Scion, and there are many in the world as I understand it, meets 5 times a year here. Often we dress in costume. Sometimes it is to discuss the esoterica of Conan Doyle and some members write papers. Other times it is a party and there is a quiz. Last each year we have had a ball, the Gasfitters Ball. It is the best ball in Southern Ca. We had it catered, live music, everyone in costume. The hall decorated to look Edwardian.

But one of our members died suddenly a few months ago, Cheryl and I moved now two hours away, everyone is getting older, and the founders have been throwing over 1000 so we could do this, and one has been out of work for three years (He used to be at B of A)

I went on line, knowing that it was last Saturday night, and Cheryl and I couldn't afford the $75 each to go. First time I missed and found that they announced it was the last ball.

As you explore the whisper campaign, there is something that I am doing close to that also. Remember though that while people like to talk of ondits in the drawing room, they are replaced by other fresher ones of course. And then if something is made to be a falsehood, like saying a woman is a wanton when she isn't or natural child and there is proof that she is not, then such things have to be taken in balance. And with a natural child of course, many are full members of society despite being born out of wedlock. I cite the FitzClarence children, and Jane Austen's sister in law is a Natural Child as well.

A whisper campaign, and I shall like to see how yours proceeds, can I think, help to define the character of who is being whispered about. And with our heroes and heroines, it provides dramatic conflict.

message 85: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. Here is the start of Chapter five, which I am just about to finish:

Chapter 5

The days from her first visit to the Stewarts till the evening when they were to dine at Brackley House Barbars did her best to occupy herself with the social calendar that her cousin Margaret and Lady Brackley had arranged.
“There have been very few cards,” Miss Margaret said the morning of their dinner. Margaret referred to the fact, that though they had called upon all their friends of the previous year, or at least as many as they could in the first few weeks they had been in London, not many had called upon them. Barbara was slightly worried that the Ondit that had linked her name with that of Viscount Devon might be at the root of the lack of cards.
The only person who had called more than once, and been refused entry into the house was that very man. He had written twice as well, offering an apology, the second time more profuse than the first, as Barbara had not acknowledged the first. Nor the second letter.
There had been no further letters, so perhaps the man understood that she did not want to associate with him.
“Yes, I do not know what to attribute this to. I should think that the Earl of Tyrone commands a certain amount of respect in society and that we shall see more cards as the Season progresses.” Barbara saw that her cousin did not believe that statement.
“Perhaps it is so. You are not one to be overlooked. And we do have relations that I have yet to acquaint you with, and then your mother’s relations also should renew their friendships to you.”
Margaret was correct about that. Her Mother’s brother should at least make some amends. The man may not have liked her father, for she had learned that her uncle did not. But the man should not hold his feelings for the Earl of Tyrone against his beloved sister’s only child. Especially when it appeared that Barbara was beginning to lack in friends.
Calling upon her uncle and aunt, and their entire family, she found a welcome, though one she would not all warm, awaiting her.
“My dear niece, we have seen so little of you, I am glad you have come. Tell me, do you not think your newest cousin handsome?” The Baroness said when they were shown into the drawing room. The Baroness was a dozen years older than Barbara, short in stature and now, a little heavyset. Her black locks seemed to fly from under her bonnet in disarray, and no amount of time under the care of an abigail with hot iron had ever fixed as far as Barbara could remember.
The Baron of Thickleworth let rooms each season instead of having his own home in Town. The Earl had once said that it was indeed slightly cheaper each year to do so, but one had little control over such things as the servants, which the landlord could change. The tenant of course brought their valet and abigail with them, but cook, butler, groom, were all attached to the house unless of course other arrangements were made, such as letting the entire house. The Thickleworths did not rent all of the home, though no other family of note had the floor that they had taken over.
Barbara smiled at her aunt, who had the nanny bring forth the newest Thickleworth scion. Her uncle’s eldest child was a boy of ten, then two daughters, a second son of four, and now a baby boy of a few months. The Baron of Thickleworth had once remarked to her the previous season, that he felt alone at Thickleworth Hall after her mother had wed the Earl. The Baron wanted to make sure the nursery was full of children. Barbara expected her aunt was destined to have another five children as well.
Perhaps when there were ten children in the Thickleworth tribe, they would take a full house entire for the season. “I should say he looks like Uncle very much.” Barbara studied the little man very keenly. “I do wonder, should I have children once married, will they favor my parents, or that of my husband?”

Sophia Oh yeah! I just saw your interview and all the comments on Joyce's sight earlier today. You did great. You did one of Joyce's better interviews. I think you sold a few more books. (-; Hurrah for you!

That Gasfitter's Ball sounds divine. I am so sorry that you missed the last one. What rotten luck.
I suppose it is a sign of our times. But there is always a chance it can be brought back with sponsorships and fundraisers. Do you have any pictures from it of everyone all dress up in Edwardian costume? I can't dance in any era to save my life, but I would love to see a ball (now I sound like Lydia Bennet).

My whisper campaign takes place in a small Kent fictitious coastal town amongst the working class folk. My hero is a merchant captain who does some smuggling which is the cover for his work as an agent for the crown. He is responsible to carry messages to/from other agents in France with his superior in London. So, he lives modestly though known as a gentleman of independent income. The heroine is legally his ward and has come to live with him. There are mostly female staff including a companion/maid that the Captain hired for her so her rep should not be a concern.

My heroine is an eighteen year old girl who is orphaned by the death of her father. She is an earl's daughter, but a cousin inherits. The cousin and his family felt the earl married beneath him and treated her very badly when her mother died while she was a young child. The earl does not wish her in the hands of his family and treated badly while a poor dependent relation so he has her legally made the ward of his friend who knows nothing about it until he returns from one of his missions to find her waiting. Her personality is quiet as she was reared in almost seclusion on her father's estate. She was never sent away to school nor did she visit London. Her manners befit her station, but in this little town her ways are misconstrued as haughty. It helps fuel the rumors. The rumors would die away, but the villain is not finished with just rumors. He sets the Captain up to be caught as a smuggler and my heroine as the informant while the Captain is away. Many of these town people have sons and husbands working for the captain so they are angry that their favorites may be jailed or even transported to Australia leaving them with no livelihood or support. I am not sure what the legal jurisprudence is on being framed with a crime while your away at sea, but I'll deal with that after NaNo.

As my heroine is the only one left at home when this revenuer bust and the arrests take place, she takes all the (unearned I grant you) heat from the frustrated and frightened townspeople who have men involved. I am complicating matters with the Captain being captured and kept in a French prison while they try to get out of him who his contacts are.

That stuff I just spoke of will take up the middle 2/3 of my book. Honestly, the book will be even longer in the already written sections than it is so far because I gave minimal character description, setting description, and period details just to get the main idea down in print.

I think I can be forever tweaking with the thing. How can one keep an historical fiction piece under 300 pages I have no clue especially if you want to be accurate and have a plot.

Sophia I just noticed the posting of your Chapter Five.

I think that I experienced one of those head banging moments (my fix-it and make it happy tendency) when she refused to acknowledge the Viscount's communications. She must be unaware yet of why the cards and invites are not coming.

I like the poignant family part where she observes the part about her uncle wishing to fill his home with children.

message 88: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. As I have developed as a writer I think that I add these, also as I have aged.

I have a family friend who once remarked that he had grown up as a child when the Nazi's were storming into his country. He lived in a big manor house and nothing was more frightening then the emptiness of the house at that time.

When he moved here he had to have a small house where he could stand in the hallway and touch all the doors of the bedrooms without moving.

message 89: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. Wanted to go through your last letter before I begin round two of writing this AM. If the Captain, a smuggler, goes off, does he leave the heroine with a suitably aged chaperone?

And unless there is proof, the local magistrates (also part of the smuggling trade quite often) would not allow a lady to be incarcerated unless some big SNAFU was occurring.

But that will create the fun and conflict, so a plausable reason for the Heroine to beset by such trials.

The local magistrate who probably knows the Captain is also serving the government, has been called to London as well, and so another Magistrate who has no idea who the Lady is, especially when she is named without title, and by family name, could allow her to be held. BUt in the end, any man who is well aware of what they are doing will get in trouble and probably get a 'facer' for sure.

I think writing the scenes where the revenuer and the militia come for the heroine as terrifying and humorous as well would stand in good steed. Having all the countryside turn against her though, would that not cause a problem for when she wins them over. Should not those who actually have met her leap to her defense. Then half the county likes her, and half hate her, but those who hate her, only hate what they have been told about her, not having really met her? Though should you have the girl and hero leave the area at the end, then it would not matter what those left behind think.

Though to be a smuggler, one generally has to have long and deep roots in the area from my reading of the trade. Outsiders were just not trusted. So the Captain, I would think has been there for years.

Yes, 300 pages is my starting place, (about 90K words) The middle, many say is the hardest thing to write, hence plot, plot and more plot when you start. That way the road, and the sidepaths, are there to keep you pointed towards the end.

I am putting some more detail about the Exchange then I thought when I started now, because it became an adjunct that fit with both the Heroines family need for money, and the Heroes, who I have decided is being robbed by the Estate Manager.

I had decided one of the friends made money on the exchange, and now that is the bridge for Hero and Heroines father to have been meeting, while the Heroine, still mortified about the Cut Direct, won't let the Hero make amends.

More later! I am sure with the amount you have been writing, you are going to get that NaNo certificate.

OH and just one new sale since Joyce interview. Could be people waiting to win book for free...

message 90: by D.w. (last edited Nov 08, 2011 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. Closing in on the end of Chapter 6

Hero's revelation:
Sipping from his glass of orgeat, he contemplated that soon he would enjoy rather heavier stuff. And the reflection he had of his actions, and how those whose opinions he respected saw his actions, he would need that stronger drink to forget he had been the cause of an ill action.
Damn, he thought. Damn, and damn again. He did not allow women to throw themselves into his path. Lady Barbara was not the only woman he had turned his back to when they had endeavored to stop him and speak to him.
Though he had also allowed women he had no desire for to stop him as well.
Michael stopped himself and went to stand near a wall. He would have to ask a woman to dance, and then another, else a patroness was sure to force an introduction on him.
He needed a moment to examine his thoughts. Did he just turn his mind to Lady Barbara and pair that with desire. He did not desire any lady of society. That would be a complication this year, especially now that he understood there to be a criminal in his fathers employ at Stanfield Park.
Michael did not have time to have such feelings for any woman of society or to pursue the hand of one.
There. He knew himself well. He could hold such feelings at bay. There were ways he could find to ignore them. Even should he have to spend time in Lady Barbara’s company, he would not admit to having such feelings. For if indeed he did have them, the Cut Direct was an even worse action then any other he could imagine.

Sophia Oh boy, Michael's in over his head (or is that head over heels) and he doesn't even realize it. But its fun to watch the hero struggle with himself.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts about my descriptions. I think I must have muddled it though because it is not Evie who is arrested and jailed- though I'm kind of interested in that direction.

Evie is 'supposedly' the one who gets several men in town brought up on charges. The bad guy, Biggs, sends a letter supposedly from her to the local revenue man, Lt. Grier a riding officer, that sends him to the basement of the inn and a few other hidden locations where goods that were not declared in port are stored. The fats in the fire when he meets Evie, heroine, on the street the next day and publicly thanks her for doing her duty. She is bewildered and has no clue, but the arrested innkeeper's wife and another woman whose husband was taken overhear and know what he means.

Naturally this leads to half the town despising her until she can get it all sorted and do her best to get the men freed and her own name cleared by getting the real snitch, Biggs, exposed.

As to chaperonage, she has one and the rumor about her and the Captain dies off when the people accept her, but it does rear its head again when she is thought to have gotten the smugglers arrested. It is said to her face to hurt her and not because it is believed.

When I bring the captain back into the picture, they do eventually leave and leave in triumph with Biggs exposed and the men serving a few months in the slammer, but then freed to go about their lives.

Another book sold! Not exactly what I expected based on the interest I saw and the FB comments. I think you are right; everyone's waiting to see if they won it first.

Glad you were able to hook up with Debbie. I think her idea of author's pooling their resources so to speak will help everyone. I gave her Charles Finch's name too, but I don't know if she'll hear back from him right away. His fifth book is launching today.

Well must write my prison sequence for the Captain who has been captured as a spy in France and has a week until his execution to decide if he'll cough up the names of the agents he carries messages for.

You're right the middle of the book is the toughest to write. I haven't even written the scene I referred to back in the town and I have this prison scene. Then the reunion and triumph over bad guy before one last twist that launches them both back into society where the romance begins.

Yikes! That's a great deal.
Breathe, one scene at a time- yes, I am fine now. I must be calm with the appearance of normality when my husband gets home from work. He threatened to take my laptop from me earlier (idle threat, I assure you). I think it was the loud growl of frustration that bothered him. He makes that sound when the Lions do something stupid, but he says he does not (denial's not just a river in Egypt, bucko).

Well my dank prison cell awaits me. Disregard any growling that may come to you even at this distance.

message 92: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. 22.5 pages today. Should be able to finish up the 50K of Nano tommorrow.

Time to relax and watch some television. I'm a Gleek so I have that to look forward to tonight.

I started the story with the Heroine wanting the Hero, and then after the Cut Direct not wanting him. But the HEro of course has to want her, and do his best to get her.

Now in Chapter 7 so almost to the midpoint. All the backstory elements that place their character traits in place should be there, and now the parts of character building that will make them grow.

I had them earlier today at Almacks, where she still ignores her, but he can't take his eyes off her. Now they are at Hyde Park, and she is virtually forced to speak to him...

I am not sure how the Debra Brown tweet retweet thing works. I have about 10 followers on Twitter. I guess I have to step up my blogging and write more about what I research, then notes on what I am writing, how my sales are doing, things that tickle my fancy, and excerpts from the books.

I have been using the Exchange as a background. When I scanned the list of defunct Earldoms for the name of my Earl, I chose Tyrone. It must have been subconsciously directing me because I saw in my mind the use of Lloyds of London, the movie, which starred Tyrone Power, and that the insurance of shipping would be the way our hero could make some money and restore his need for a fortune.

Things have changed a bit since I first thought of those plot elements, but the Earl of Tyrone, and Tyrone Power from the movie hit me today as too coincidental.

So perhaps my next blog, should I free up an hour to write it, will have more history in it, with that connection spelled out.

We all write different, and it took me a great deal of time, years to get to the point where I new that starting with those few sentences for each chapter written down, worked quite well for me. Back, 30 years ago, I had 3x5 cards for each scene, and that it was all plotted ahead of time. Big character studies all written out. If I did that now, I might spend more time on that, then writing. If I made enough at this, I know I can do 120 pages+ each week. I can finish the first draft in 3 weeks. Taking a week to plot, or longer I think would slow me down.

On the flip side of that, my brother who writes science text books, got approached to write a series with science superhero kids. He then did all that plotting and character development and then his partner disappeared. Now he wants me to take what he planned and write it as a novel.

At least then I don't have to do the work that he did.

Can't wait to hear more about your book and how you are doing. Maybe post the prison scene. Getting some lower class french dialect worked in your dialogue should be fun.

message 93: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. The introduction of a new character, mentioned earlier in the tale, but first time we meet her. The Earl, our heroines father, knows that when is daughter is wed, he will be alone and has started to pursue a new woman to wed and so not be alone, Lady Anne Dunnismore, a widow:

“Lady Barbara, if you please, but I should think that is the party you are looking for ahead.” The groom pointed out a group of riders. He had been instructed to make enquiries earlier, but then had informed her that the Earl’s carriage had taken him to the home of Lady Dunnismore and so Henry had met and talked to the Dunnismore staff as well.

“Come Princeling, let us fly,” Barbara kicked her horse into a cantor and was nearly upon Lady Dunnismore, when she saw that the lady was engaged in conversation with two other riders, both of her acquaintance.

Lady Dunnismore was in a heavy wool outfit of deep red. If the light had faded, one might think it black, but certainly it looked warm enough considering the coldness of the day. The cut was such that it was carefully crafted to display her figure to best advantage. The corset that supported all of her curves must have been designed to attract men. Something that Barbara had been considering with her own couture. She knew she had assets that could be used so effectively. The face that so many saw were just the first hints of all her beauty. Barbara knew that the art of presenting oneself, practiced by Lady Dunnismore was critical in finding a husband.

“Ah, Lady Barbara,” Isobel Stewart exclaimed. Lady Dunnismore was also escorted by Lord Devon, or Isobel was as Barbara could see no chaperone or groom that must have accompanied her. It seemed then that the skill Lady Dunnismore was practicing was also used not only upon her father, but others as well.

“This is the Earl’s daughter? Well I confess that I had been at one time quite desirous of meeting you, young lady. Come, let me see you closer. It is a thing of age that our eyesight fades, I am sure you aware. It is a thing of vanity that I refuse to use spectacles, unless I am reading, and only when I am quite alone. I give you this secret Devon, so that you will understand my sex, and all those who also hide behind such affectation. You will not want your wife to fall into such a trap that age closes upon us. If Dunnismore were alive, I daresay I should not resort to such trickery, or, should I be tamed by another and taken as wife, I may resort to some other means to flatter myself that I can have allusions of youth. Now, Lady Barbara take my hand and let me see you closer.”

Barbara was overcome. She could do little but maneuver her mount close so that Lady Dunnismore could see her better. “It is so, you are a true beauty. Well, there were those in my age that were so. Even I was adjudged one as well.”
The Viscount said, “And still are, Lady Dee! Still are. I should make you my Duchess the instant!” Not silent in her presence then, Barbara thought. And a little loud, as well.

“La, you are a charmer. It is my eyes you understand Devon that are a little weaker. Not my ears. I can hear you fine where you sit. Oh, dear me, there was something between you and Lady Barbara, was there not? No, I am sure that the Earl mentioned it as a bother,” the Baroness Dunnismore was being obtuse, Barbara was sure.

“Best we not dwell on the past, my lady,” Devon said. Barbara was sure he was looking at her though. Yes, straight at her. She knew he had stared at her before as well. For at Almacks, when last they had been in the same place, she had felt his eyes upon her at every turn.

“No of course not. So many do, you know. And that is something that I think makes us who we are of course. If I had not married Dunnismore, which is my past, then I should surely have married someone else of course. But marrying Dunnismore gave me a life I should never have believed possible. But at first, it might not have been at all. He was such a trial that man. Pay attention ladies for your mama’s will never tell you this when you are trying to catch a husband. Men will be trials for you. It is in their nature. Oh, Lady Barbara forgive me. I quite forgot you do not have a mama who would tell you such, or as I have said, do her best to not tell you such.”

Sophia Twenty two pages yesterday! That is incredibly productive. I should see that you are finished sometime today or tomorrow.

I hope to be a few days behind you. I'm having difficulties with the prison scene. I gave it the usual dungeon of castle bit with three keepers overseen by an elegant French aristocratic counter-espionage spy who is in Napoleon's pay, but infiltrates the Royalist underground group since he has a title and survived the Revolution. The French viscount is the only one talking so no gutter French yet- sorry. I let the jailors rough up the Captain and then let the Vicomte come play good cop to their bad cop to give the Captain an ultimatum- give up your contacts in France or be shot as a spy. He has a week of solitary to think on it. In the meantime, he remembers a forgotten letter that was stuffed into a hidden pocket which got over looked when he was searched. The letter is the piece that was needed to resolve his issues with the past involving the heroine's father. Now I am switched back to that scene I spoke of yesterday about the heroine and the revenuer making the smuggler arrests. Both scenes do not feel quite the thing to me right now so I will definitely be re-visiting them after I finish getting the book down in print the first time.

I think that is great to have a collaboration with your brother. That's sad that the children's science test series is washed up or is your collab meant to continue that? American education is so weak in Science and Math.

As to your twitter following, Debbie didn't think that was a big deal. I think she means for this venture to help you build that.

If my opinion will help, I think you ought to post a bunch of background materials on all your current Regency romances in little short bites with excerpts from your books that match. Like an article on the battle of Salamanca with an excerpt from the Colonel's letter/or the narrative from that period. I like it when author's do that so a scene from a book has deeper meaning for me so that historical nuances are not lost on me.
Some authors even choose to break down how they wrote their individual characters like the villains or the comic supporting roles. You know, like how you explained how you came up with Lady Catherine.
I think if you did that a few times a week with reminders on FB at different sites like English Historical Fiction Writers and Clean Reads, you would get some more traffic too.

I am well aware that what I am suggesting takes piles of time, but it is what I see others doing. I think that is why several have resorted to a form of bribery to get help with this style of promotion. Have you noticed when some put up their giveaways they require things like: 'share' the giveaway on FB and Twitter, 'like' my page, sign up for my newsletter, be Google Friends, Goodreads, Twitter, or FB follower, comment on any of my previous posts, etc? Their getting the people interested in the giveaways to do their work for them.

Plus just posting a giveaway at your blog site with one of your postings works the same way especially as you get close to a release.
I have won several ARC and pre-released books that I have read and had a review posted for when the book goes on sale which of course helps sell the book. I put reviews where the book is being sold, on Goodreads, and at any appropriate FB sites which helps the author. And for me- learning of a new author to read and a free book. Everybody wins as far as I am concerned.

Lately, and I swear it is because I am kept from my reading by NaNO, I have received several pre-released new author/indie author books with requests to read so I will review. I love doing it, but why must I be tempted with so much lovely reading when I put a moratorium on reading until this challenge is over? Grrrr!

I enjoyed this scene you posted of the ride in the park where she meets Lady Dunnismore. Lady Dunnismore- yes, what a hoot! Adore her and wish to see more. I love that she has no filter on her mouth causing ticklish situations. Georgette Heyer had some older gal who still dressed in Georgian attire in one of her Bath novels who was like that (Lady of Quality? Bath Tangle? Can't recall). She so made the book for me even if she was a minor character.
And having Devon practically shouting because he mistakes blind for deaf- Ha! Makes him more sympathetic a character.

Well must get back to Evie's upcoming conflict with a few of the towns' folk and enter stage right- my villain Biggs.

message 95: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. I have 56 words to go to 50K, and right at the middle of chapter 8. As a motherless child, the Housekeeper and Cook have spent a lot of time guiding the heroine especially with womanly matters. So now she is confiding in the Yin/Yang two about accepting the Viscount's apology but not meaning it. The cook wants the viscount to come and she will give him a sweetmeat that will give him the stomach ache.

I can see blogging about things, Just researched Nell Gwyn again and her son who became a Duke, 8th Duke of St Albans is alive during my story. 9th Duke to be is about a year older than Heroine, so she has danced with the boy.

It is the Twitter that I find disturbing. I have tweetdeck open and all the tweet retweets about the same thing is very annoying. Do you use Twitter at all?

Break time. Will come back after TV and dinner to hit that 50K, actually want to write 503 more words because that will be 20K for week so far.

May take tomorrow off from writing for the "BLOG with HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE" and thumb through some library books that I have to finish by Saturday and I haven't even looked at.

Waiting to see you post (even here in our thread) any bits of your story :)

Sophia Huzzah! *tosses confetti into the air* Wonderful job conquering NaNo.

I have a housekeeper and cook who help out my heroine too. Creepy parallel? Nah! (-;
You can meet my cook in my excerpt that-yes, I can put here. I'll include the scene where she first learns about the trouble about to descend upon her through the fake letter from middle of ch. 11

"We all know Bean dealt in smuggled goods, but he ain’t no more the leader than I am.”
“Poor Mr. Bean! Poor Mrs. Bean!
What happens now? Will there be a trial? Will something bad happen to them?”
“Aye, they’ll go up before the magistrate at quarter sessions. They likely get a few months. All but Bean, if he gets charged, he’ll be transported like the other one.”
“No” she quietly wailed. “Who is the magistrate? Oh, I remember, Mr. Steene. Where is this Lt. Grier? I must do something.”
“Well the Steenes always live in London and he only comes back for the quarter sessions and that won’t be for another month. That Lt. Grier is quartered up in Lydd close to Sussex. He be through this way often enough.”
“I must speak to him on Mr. Bean’s behalf.”

Two days later, she became even more determined to speak to the riding officer, she was assisting Mrs. Yoast with the marketing since two afternoon tea parties had depleted many of their stores. They, along with Aggie, set out with large baskets on their arms exchanging greetings and nods with the women of their acquaintance amongst the stalls. Evie was paused near some vegetables and was testing for ripeness when a shadow fell across her. She turned to look and received the bow and doff of the hat from a hearty man looking well pleased in a uniform to which she was unfamiliar.
“Ma’am, I just wished to thank you for doing your duty as one of His majesty’s subjects. If more like you came forward, we would stamp it out entirely. Your government thanks you and I thank you.”
He touched his hat, smiled, and strolled off whistling. Evie stood with gaping mouth. Then when the murmuring nearby grew loud enough she turned to see that she was being regarded with disdain. Soon there was a wide circle of empty space around her with the angry looks and mutterings being made from a distance. The farmer with whom she was shopping gave her an uneasy glance and then stared off silently when just a moment before he had been friendly and telling her about his lambs.

Aggie and Mrs. Yoast came hurrying up to her and they were both white and trembling.
“Oh Miss Evie, is it true? It cannot be true.”
“What Aggie? Can what be true?”
“They be saying around the market that it were you that sent that letter to the riding officer and got all those menfolk in trouble- that got my Uncle Bean carried off to jail.”
“What!” she heard her voice almost shriek. “You know I only found out about the arrests when you did. I do not know who the smugglers are or even if there is smuggling. How could I write a letter of that kind? I told you that I would speak to whomever I could and I will.
Why does everyone suddenly think I wrote the letter to Grier?”

Mrs. Yoast studied her quietly while she spoke her denials and Evie was feeling somewhat confused and dizzy by now. The cook kindly took her arm and led her away to take her home.
“Lovie, you were just seen with Grier and several overheard him thanking you for the letter and your part in rounding up the smugglers.”
“I? That was Lt. Grier? I did not even know to what he was referring. He spoke of duty and stamping something out. I did not get a chance to speak before he walked off.
We must go back. I must find him.”
“No, you are not the thing right now. Let’s get you home and sitting down to a nice cup of tea.”
Aggie gave her a guilty smile and slipped her arm through hers on the other side. “I’m sorry for panickin’ Miss Evie. I do know you well enough not to think it of you.
It were just hearing them all get het up and talkin’ that way. I got several brothers with the Gentleman and my Uncle Bean he don’t mean no harm if he do take some free goods on the occasion.”
Evie was inwardly in a state of nerves, but she took the time to reassure Aggie. “It’s alright, dear. We will think of something.”

Nell Gwyn, that would be a splendid blog. I love things to do with Charles II. I think it is fun when historical figures rub shoulders with fictional ones with the caveat that they stay true to themselves. I have seen Prinny used in the most hilarious ways that he would never have said or done.

I am afraid that I do not know a thing about Twitter or tweeting so can't help you there. I just cannot contain myself to the 'short and pithy' I guess.

Enjoy your time off! You've earned it.

Oh, and let me know when you have that "BLOG WITH HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE" up so I can come comment (though no tweeting from me).

message 97: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. First day I feel no pressure. At 50K words, that is half a book roughly in 9 days of writing so I should finish this book in a month. Not just the contest.

At the end of the month, last few days, they have a copy and paste word count verifier at NaNo so you paste in your manuscript for verification purposes only.

Good work on the above. I might change that the Magistrate for a coastal town lives in London. I don't think at this period, with the roads still pretty lousy through most of the country, would they not have some gentry in an area that could serve as a Magistrate.

Check out the Irish RM, either book or series, and you see that posting someone permanent because there were all sorts of problems that the gentry had to decide on means that if the local big shot was in Town for the season, some other bigshot who lived near I think would being seeing to matters that came up.

But don't stop with your daily cranking stuff out. Keep the story flowing forward. I often find two, three days after I have written something that it occurs to me to go back and add two or three sentences, a half page, for a plot point that I am introducing later, or wanted to include. Then I will go write it.

Lady Dunnismore and what she was wearing for instance. I had started with just Lady Dunnismore, on Tuesday, but then yesterday when I sat down to write more, I knew I needed to describe her outfit. She is alluring, and knows it.

So I added one paragraph and then continued with the story. I should also add more about Hyde Park, for instance, but that I will do in the next draft.

So today is Blog first, game review for Inside Mac Games, and then more work on The Other Shoe.

Ciao

Sophia Phew! I just got to my lap top for the first time today finally.

This is why we do not assume we will have plenty of time to make the 50K or other commitments. Life interferes.

I just saw your posting when I scrolled through my GR homepage 'nosing around' to see what my 'friends' were up too. I 'liked' (I really did actually) your posting and commented. Everyone likes to have some feedback that their words are read, right?

I had no idea who Debbie was pulling together for her author group. I recognize a few names. These are very supportive people. Teresa is like Debbie's mentor from when she was breaking into the writing industry. I know Debbie's not done casting out her lures to bring in some more.

I just watched my neighbor (yes one of my favorite past times) and a hired boy cleaning out the gutters on his upper story roof in the rain with winds up to 40 mph. Want to know what they were using to clean said gutter? Yes, I thought you would so I will share- a garden hose with squirter attachment.

John says it was cruel of me to sit on the floor howling with laughter as I looked up through the window and watched two soaked people spraying water into a gutter. Personally I found it vastly amusing- more amusing than scraping the melted plastic out of my oven where someone (we will name no names to protect the guilty) forgot to remove the plastic lid before he cooked the casserole I left him.

I do believe the man almost inadvertently asphyxiated himself. I came home and had to throw open the whole house in 39 degree weather and the perpetrator had no clue since he was downstairs catching up on FOX and ESPN.

Melted plastic! GRRRRRR!

I like your advice about the magistrate. I hadn't given that issue a thought as you can tell. I truly do not have much of an understanding about rural judicial matters and it will show. Research, I know! Though if you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't even realized that I needed to research. Thanks! Now I'll just have to put my mind to what 'bigshot' I want for secondary magistrate. I think it will need to be a 'borrow someone else from another community' situation. Maybe the Squire of the town just inland's neighborhood.

And that's another thing, I've always been puzzled by the Squire concept. One reads about them in any historical novel set in the country, but the title doesn't seem to appear on any of the lists like knight, baronet, etc (suspect its some old one like the Saxon 'Thane') though it seems that it can be passed along hereditarily. Another thing to research!

I won't let these matters distract me from getting the main storyline down as you advised. Trust me, I could chase a lot of rabbits down their various trails and never finish.

Its supposed to rain tomorrow. Maybe I should get our ladder out and do some gutter cleaning?

Nope! Won't happen for several reasons. Chiefly because I am always the ladder holder not the ladder climber (and we just cleaned our gutter on a perfect sunny day a few days ago).

message 99: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. From Wikipedia:

In English village life from the late 17th century through the early 20th century, there was often one principal family of gentry, owning much of the land and living in the largest house, maybe the manor house. The head of this family was often called "the squire."

Squires were gentlemen with a coat of arms and were often related to peers. Many could claim descent from knights and had been settled in their inherited estates for hundreds of years. The squire usually lived at the village manor house and owned an estate comprising the village, with the villagers being his tenants. If the squire "owned the living" (i.e. -- "was patron") of the parish church;and he often did—he would choose the rector, a role often filled by the middle son of the squire. Some squires also became the local rector themselves and were known as squarsons[1];a portmanteau of the words squire and parson. The squire would also have performed a number of important local duties, in particular that of justice of the peace or Member of Parliament.

Such was the power of the squires at this time that modern historians have created the term squirearchy[2]. Politically, during the 19th century, squires tended to be Tories whereas the greatest landlords tended to be Whigs.

The position of squire was traditionally associated with occupation of the manor house, which would often itself confer the dignity of squire. It is unclear how widely the village squire may still be said to survive today; but where it does, the role is likely more dependent upon a recognition of good manners, lineage and long family association rather than land, which, while relevant, is nowadays likely to be considerably smaller than in former years due to high post-war death duties and the prohibitive costs associated with maintaining large country houses.

In Scotland, whilst Esquire and Gentleman are technically correctly used at the Court of the Lord Lyon, the title Laird, in place of squire, is more common. Moreover, in Scotland, Lairds append their territorial designation to their names as was traditionally done on the continent of Europe (e.g., Donald Cameron of Lochiel). The territorial designation fell into disuse in England early on, save for peers of the realm.

The first time I thought I heard the term was as a child when they were playing Tom Brown's School Days on PBS/Masterpiece Theater. I later found that Rugby, the school where that takes place is so much better as the place that brought little pure Tom Brown and fascinating irreverent Flashman together... Love Flashman.

So it has confused me as well. It is not a title that is awarded, but seems to be bestowed by your fellow townsmen. In the Quiet Man, the big brute brother is the Squire. In Lark Rise to Candleford, Sir Timothy (?) is the squire. So one can be a Baronet and a Squire at the same time.

In the SCA which are the Medieval Re-enactors I was in, a Squire serves a knight. And of course in medieval times that is the way it was.

Can't seem to get the blog post to push to the 'tribe' members so they can repost it. Did notice that my Wordpress page is not so snazzy and needs to highlight the books, tastefully though. Some blog pages I find so busy with advertisements that i do not look on to the left and right columns because they are two busy.

Save the scene of your neighbors for some contemporary writing one day. The memory will be a humorous way to bring out a character trait or two.

Did everything today but the library books. I have to do that, or see if I can extend the rental.

Will finish up chapter 8 in my story tomorrow and go on to 9, Want to do at least 8000 words through Sunday, but then try for more.

message 100: by D.w. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.w. Saw that you are at 49630! Way to go, just a little more than a page :-) :-)