Greta is Erikasbuddy's Reviews > A Whisper To A Scream

Oct 14, 11

bookshelves: buddy-read-with-darkfallen, indie-author-love
Recommended for: American Psycho Girls and Boys
Read from October 13 to 14, 2011

This is an interesting and unique read that I've never seen done in YA.

Ellory is your typical ya teenage angst girl. She's 17, a senior in high school, has a mouth like a sailor, doesn't like to get gussied up, and loves her friends.

Her life is about to get flipped upside down. Burton, Ohio hasn't had anything exciting happen to it in years. Maybe even decades. That is until Adam Jacobs moves to town. A beautiful boy with a winning smile, football skills, and a dark dark secret.

Adam is a monster. But not like the ones from fairytales. Adam is for real.

I found the plot at times to be a bit out there. Ellory's story is told in 1st person POV while Adam's is told in 3rd. I have to admit that this confused me when it was first introduced. I didn't mind it but I definitely wasn't expecting it. I've only see that done with Heather Gudenkauf novels.

I kind of figured that the duo would fall head over heel for each other. And in fact they did but I feel that Ellory shouldn't have fallen so hard. I can understand why Adam would. It makes sense since he's the one fighting between bloodlust and normalcy. But I thought Ellory should realize that he was going a little over the top. In my opinion it would be the best move to make Ellory a fourteen year old. I think that if the author was to do that then her being so infatuated with Adam would make more sense. She'd be too young to realize their relationship is a bit too clingy (in a way).

Another reason I would make Ellory younger is the fact that she talks about her BFF as though she's the center of her life. Now, I know that I did that when I was 17 but I don't know if that is the norm. Again, if Ellory was just a smidge younger than this would maker perfect sense.

I told my husband about that and he told me that if the author was to do that then it would be socially unacceptable for her to get it on with Adam. Well, that doesn't happen in this book. There is some making out but nothing too graphic. It's all pretty tame. But what if there was something to happen? Ellory likes to party and is proclaimed as the wild child. If she's all that then I'm pretty sure that a fourteen year old having sex would not raise any eyebrows. We all knew those kinds of girls.

There are some ferrets in this story (typos and words out of place) but none of that is too critical. I never got confused at all. I think if the right person was to comb over this it could be made just right.

The ending is probably the best part. It does make me wonder what is in store for the next book. You are left with a delicious cliffhanger that will leave you wanting more and biting your nails until the next book is released.

This is kind of a dark book. American Psycho was darker and so was Misery, but this has the potential to give me that SCREAM FACTOR with the upcoming book. I'm really wanting that. With that being said, I wouldn't recommend this for the squeemish. It didn't shock me at all but that's kind of hard to do. I can imagine it disturbing others.

If you are looking for a unique Halloween read then this book is for you.

Definitely an author to keep your eye on.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Whisper To A Scream.

10/13/2011 page 20
9.52% "Going from 3rd person pov to 1st (and a different character) kind of confused me. But so far so good. I kind of wonder if a 17 year old would know who Marsha Brady is. I just asked my 14 year old and he has no clue."
10/13/2011 page 55
26.19% "haha!! V-card! I haven't heard that one in a while ;)" 2 comments
10/14/2011 page 106
50.48% "Her G-pa served in WWII? Would that make him a million? Cuz she's 17. I think that should be changed to Nam. My grandpa on my Dad's side wasn't even old enough to serve in WWII and I'm in my 30s. (although my other gpa did but they had kids late in life)"
10/14/2011 page 126
60.0% "Psycho Killer - Qu'est-ce que c'est? [What is it?] - fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa better - Run run run run run run away -"
10/14/2011 page 157
74.76% "I wasn't expecting that!"

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Duperre FWIW, I have a 13yo cousin (I'm 36) and our mutual grandfather served in WWII. Not that unusual, especially for a generation that had tons of kids, and those kids tended to wait longer to have children, themselves.

Darkfallen Awesome review mi Bonita;) I just finished and for me this is a five stars!! Woot woot!!! And OMG thank Goddess for two 5 star books in a row. Bc it seems like I've been stuck in suckville lately.

But yes the ending? And the, let's see how I can put time so I don't spoil for people...the "Carrie esq" moment? Made of awesome!!!!! I both squeediddles and gasped;) lol

Greta is Erikasbuddy Robert wrote: "FWIW, I have a 13yo cousin (I'm 36) and our mutual grandfather served in WWII. Not that unusual, especially for a generation that had tons of kids, and those kids tended to wait longer to have chi..."

IT's not a big part of the book. Just a sentence or two. I have a problem when writer's time stamp things. If you do that then 20 years later when someone reads your book then it will feel outdated. Maybe she should have said WAR. There's usually always one of those going on :)

Greta is Erikasbuddy Darkfallen wrote: "Awesome review mi Bonita;) I just finished and for me this is a five stars!! Woot woot!!! And OMG thank Goddess for two 5 star books in a row. Bc it seems like I've been stuck in suckville lately. ..."

I was thinking Carrie too!!! But the ending ending... what the hells... It faded way too quickly! But I guess that's an awesome thing because it definitely makes you hunger for the next one.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Duperre Greta is Erikasbuddy wrote: Yeah, I thought about that. My family had kids really really young. But I just thought NAM would have be a better fit :)

I very strongly agree with this. It's one of the reasons I (usually) don't put actual dates into the books I've written.