Kelly_Instalove's Reviews > Romancing the Countess

Romancing the Countess by Ashley March

Nov 03, 11

bookshelves: genre-romance
Read from October 18 to November 02, 2011

I originally gave this three stars, but only a day or two after finishing it I had to go back and skim through to recall enough to write a review - so, downgrading to two stars.

I was expecting a lot more from this. The blurb promised Scandal! and Passion! but what I got was Angst! and Internal Monologuing!

While the writing was really good - the author has a great "voice" and the angst was actually very affecting - the whole premise was pretty predictable. The scandal wasn't very scandalous, the passion came and went, and obstacles on the road to the HEA were resolved by the convenient appearance of cardboard secondary characters.

What hinted at being witty banter turned out to be some nasty insults followed by whiny apologizing - understandably driven by self-pity given the jilted-spouse premise, but not really something I want to hear from a romantic hero.

I'd be willing to read more from this author, if only she can break out of the plot tropes, and add some zing to give me characters I can really care about.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Romancing the Countess.