Rachel's Reviews > Revolution in World Missions

Revolution in World Missions by K.P. Yohannan

Jun 17, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended for: All Christians not familliar with the native missionary movement
Read in June, 2008

It was fairly well done and laid out all right, I was just expecting more information on the native missionary movement, less guilt tripping for wealthy North Americans. The author did have some excellent points about how Gospel for Asia works to support native missionaries, and stories and examples from on the field in India (which is where his focus seems to be). It's encouraging, thought provoking and inspiring.
The information that was included about the work of native missionaries (which was what I read the book for in the first place) is making me completely re-think the way I look at missions, and my own part in it. However I felt like the author was generally leaning on the idea that we in the wealthy Christian countries (U.S. and Canada along with some European countries) aren't needed on the field but should support through prayer and financial giving. I agree that every believer should be involved in missions, either by going out themselves or by giving money and prayer support. Also (thanks to this book) I believe that native missionaries are extremely capable and empowered by the spirit, doing amazing and lasting things for the kingdom of God, and worthy of our whole hearted support. But I also think there is still room for us to consider missionary work if we are called to it, though I don't think we should necessarily be fully supported by the Church, but rather be 'tent makers' Not say the Church couldn't support, but I think what is needed sometimes is good old fashioned discipleship when we are trying to undertake mass evangelism, especially in Eastern or Latin American cultures that are turning secular. (This is where my reading 'Living Proof' is making things interesting, it's quite a lot to think about).
I'd still recommend this book to all the Christians I know, just to get a feel for this new step in missions (which admittedly isn't all that new) as well as to be made aware (if not already aware) of how much we in the West take for granted. It's a good and much needed wake up call.

...read it and think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revolution in World Missions.