Atziri's Reviews > Zen Shorts

Zen Shorts by Jon J. Muth

Nov 12, 11

bookshelves: young-readers-genre, favorite
Read in October, 2011

Jon J. Muth is an author I just recently discovered and was pleasantly surprised. His books re-tell several Buddhist teachings, but adapts them to kids and surrounds them with beautiful drawings. In this story three siblings meet their new neighbor the Zen Panda called Stillwater. The panda plays with each of the kids and tells each of them a tale that will help them deal with their own troubles. All these tales are about zen philosophy. Addy learns that it is better to give than to receive. Even if you think you have nothing to give, there is always something, and the best thing to give can be free, like the moon. The second story, The Farmer's Luck, teaches us that things in life happen to us for a reason. Someone's good luck can be bad luck for another and vice versa. And finally, Karl, who is angry at his brother, learns from Stillwater that we have to let go of things that hurt us or we will always be carrying a heavy load.

This is a book that both children and adults will enjoy, I certainly did and have included in my list of favorite books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zen Shorts.