Ann's Reviews > The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Jun 20, 08

Judging from the other Goodreads reviews and the recommendations of my friends, I seem to be a minority of one in my low estimation of this book. It's not that I disliked it, per se, but I really resented the way this sappy, anthropomorphic story stomped on every emotion in my body. If you need a good cry for some other reason, by all means grab yourself a box of tissues and a copy of this book and go for it. You can get it all out and no one will ask you what's wrong when they see what you are reading. If crying is not high on your agenda, skip this one and move on to something more worthwhile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Racing in the Rain.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Di (new) - rated it 2 stars

Di Ditto!

Debra Well put--much better than what I wrote in my review to convey the same feeling. Except: you are not a minority of one; I unabashedly join your small group.

Claudine I was the only one in my bookgroup who felt that the use of the dog as narrator weakened the story instead of strengthening it.
I am glad to see that I am not alone.

message 4: by Lori (new) - rated it 1 star

Lori I couldn't agree with you more! I truly resented this book.

message 5: by Megs (new) - rated it 1 star

Megs Could not agree more! Sing it!

Ashley "stomped on every emotion in my body"

AGREED. I feel emotionally abused.

Stephanie Thanks, Ann. I wasn't sure what I felt about the book after I read it and forced my dog to withstand some squeezing, but "stomped on" about covers it! I didn't mind the racing jargon, or the dog as narrator (both familiar and comfortable, and I rather enjoyed the Senna/Schumacher discussion), but I hate being manipulated.

Whitney Yes! I feel like my emotions were assaulted...on purpose!!

message 9: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Kim Although this book could be depressing at times, that is not a huge reason to dislike it. If anything, the poignant nature of the novel is what makes it so beautiful. Don't just get caught up in the sad story line. Rather, admire the way that Stein personifies Enzo. He is not only trying to entertain you, but enlighten you as well. His metaphorical comparisons of life and Formula 1 Racing (such as, "The race is long - to finish first, first you must finish”) are outstanding. Moreover, I found that this book brings up a plethora of great messages. My all-time favorite quote from the novel is "That which we manifest is before us." It is a great reminder of how failures or successes are only brought on by ourselves. A bit cliche? Maybe. But it is an important idea to remember nonetheless.

Carol I don't really know how to feel about this book... Parts of me kind of hated it and the other parts didn't quite hate it but I certainly didn't love it. I like your description and review. I kind of felt like the book was attempting to make me feel something for these characters when really I didn't at all. I, being in an overly emotional my fiancé died 8 months ago and my doggy is becoming an old man state, shed not one single tear. Instead I felt irritated. Irritated that Denny was proclaimed a hero, when really he was a pushover, irritated at the many cliches, irritated at Enzo's death (did anybody else automatically think of the ending of Gladiator??) and definitely irritated at the last chapter.