Clarica's Reviews > Blaze of Silver

Blaze of Silver by K.M. Grant

F_50x66
Oct 31, 11

bookshelves: historical

I give this book a 4.5. Actually, I give this whole series a 4.5. :) It was historical fiction (more heavy to the fiction than to the historical) with some romance, and feel that I learned from the book. I learned more about the Crusades, King Richard's imprisonment, King John's attempt to take over the throne, and relations between early Muslims and early Muslim extremists.
Most of all, I fell in love with the story and the characters. The story kept me interested most of the time, and spent 1-3 hours on a few Saturdays reading when I should have been cleaning. :) There are some unexpected twists in the books. However, I feel that the end of the book is a bit... stretched. Not in believability necessarily, but the whole, "Five years later," feel. The massive jump in time and the little summaries, crammed into the last few pages of the book feel a bit thin. Besides, I loved what KM Grant did with the rest of the story. :) Couldn't she have filled in those five years with 200 more pages? :)I grew to know the characters, at least some of them. Will, Ellie, Hosanna, and Amal in particular. Marissa just made me want to tear my hair out, but I ended up feeling for her. Funny out that works.
All in all, I'm glad I read this series. It was highly entertaining, I learned from it, and besides, I just love a good fiction book. :) Or just a good book.
Now for the spoilers :)
I'm glad Gavin was able die in peace. It wan't peaceful circumstances, for sure, but he chose his time, with the dignity of a knight.
I'm glad Ellie ended up with Will. You just want them to end up together for all 3 books. :)
I'm glad Hosana got better. That's a miracle horse. Run past exhaustion, wounded in the crusades, poisoned, and run past exhaustion again.
I'm glad Amal died by his own choosing, not by the Old Man's torture.
I'm glad Kamil was still able to have a good life. If only there had been two Ellie's...
I'm glad the Old Man is at the bottom of the ocean.
I'm glad I read this series. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blaze of Silver.