Ebookwormy's Reviews > The God Around Us: A Child's Garden of Prayer

Oct 27, 11

bookshelves: kids-earlyreaderelementary, israeljudaism, poetry
Recommended to Ebookwormy by: Tapestry of Grace
I own a copy

This colorful introduction to Jewish blessings includes vivid illustrations, an explanatory rhyme and recitation of Jewish blessings in Hebrew (traditional script), Hebrew (English script pronunciation) and English. At the end of the book, there is a list of occasions at which each blessing would be spoken.

I would have preferred that this list was incorporated into the text of the book, as we spent a good deal of time flipping back and forth. The rhymes were helpful and poetic, the illustrations captivating, and the various scripts informative. However, I would have preferred the more traditional English translation (and, in fact substituted it when reading) "Blessed art Thou, O LORD our God, King of the Universe..." instead of the more contemporary "Praise be to You, Adonai our God, Ruler of the Universe..." I think/ feel the traditional translation highlights the reality that these blessings have been passed down for centuries, giving a greater appreciation for the connection these prayers have forged between people of different times, cultures and generations as they maintained their Jewish identity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God Around Us.