Wisdom Broker's Reviews > 77 Reasons Why Your Book Was Rejected

77 Reasons Why Your Book Was Rejected by Mike Nappa

U_50x66
Oct 10, 11

Read in October, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 77 Reasons Why Your Book Was Rejected.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wisdom Broker Finally, Writers Can Know How Publishers Evaluate Their Manuscripts

Typically, authors set themselves up for failure with their simplistic view of publishers’ decision-making processes. “If my writing’s good enough,” we imagine, “they’ll eagerly offer me a contract.” If only it were that simple!

In real life, publishers reject manuscripts for a multitude of reasons, of which Nappa lists 77, including:

• You failed to convince me that you could market the book.
• We’ve already accepted our quota for the year.
• We don’t publish your genre.
• You failed to demonstrate the uniqueness of your book.
• Your audience doesn’t match our target audience.

By understanding how publishers think about acquisitions, authors stand much better odds of getting accepted. Nappa presents this information in a clear and lively style that makes it a pleasure to read. By limiting each point to four or five pages and moving quickly to practical tips, I profited by reading a section at a time, similar to a daily devotion.

Although I primarily self publish these days (I’ve been traditionally published as well), I found these insights invaluable, simply because self publishers are publishers. How insightful to learn from successful publishers the characteristics of marketable books! Nappa’s experiences as acquisitions editor, marketing copywriter, and literary agent uniquely qualify him to write on this topic. Beyond his personal experiences, he quotes and recommends other authorities and studies which add weight to his recommendations.

Highly recommended for all authors.