stephanie's Reviews > A Horse Called Wonder

A Horse Called Wonder by Joanna Campbell

May 13, 2008

bookshelves: young-adult, would-rec, horses, childhood-favorites, animals

are these books out of print??! why is there no cover?

man, this was one of the formative series of my childhood, and i couldn't WAIT for the next book to come out.

this is the story of a girl who loses her best friend (her horse, stardust), and ends up working at another farm. things aren't looking good until a sick foal is born, one that will breathe life into ashleigh, the farm, and everyone around her.

totally cheesy in that perfect way, this is a great read for a kid who loves animals, much less someone obsessed with horses. although often times the series leans toward the not-possible-in-reality side of things, there's still enough to keep you coming back. and on the horse side of things, everything is spot on.

of course, i couldn't help but be thrilled when the series took a turn and they brought eventing into the picture. but still, it's ashleigh and wonder who start the whole thing, and really, it's their series. at some point, it will break your heart, but all good books do that, don't they?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Horse Called Wonder.

10/09/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Celia (new)

Celia I added a cover on for you :-)

I loved these sort of horsey books when I was a kid, despite not knowing much about horses!

stephanie you rock!! thank you for putting a picture on my childhood, seriously. :)

treehugger God I loved these books! Between these, "Danny" (movie AND book, the movie which I had to watch every week no matter what until I reached a certain age - did you see that one?) and the Saddle Club, I was in horse heaven. There are a couple other horse books I remember being my very favorites when I was young, ones that weren't part of a series. Are there other horse books you remember reading that you don't have on your profile? I can't remember their names!!! And I can't find the books ANYWHERE!!

stephanie oh, dude, i have like, 50 of them - but they are all in california. let me think for a second . . . well, the black stallion series was always good, all marguerite henry, this book i read over and over again . . . i think the horse's name was whisper? i think it had whisper in the title. and. when i go back to my parents' house, i'll be sure to do some research.

OH! tin can tucker was a GREAT book about barrel racing, i read it every year i went down to my grandmother's. as i recall, that author had other horse books . . .