Meghan's Reviews > Chasing Lincoln's Killer

F_50x66
Oct 10, 11

bookshelves: ya-literature, non-fiction
Read in October, 2011

We all know John Wilkes Booth killed Abraham Lincoln. But he was not alone in this conspiracy. James L. Swanson gives us a play by play of what happened before, during and after the assassination of Lincoln. I was enthralled by this book. Although it could be read in one sitting I was glad it did it in parts. I could not get the chase of Booth out of my head when I put the book down. I was saddened reading about Lincoln’s death and mourned with the country. I was in awe of all the events that Swanson gives vivid detail. I thought if I am this moved by Lincoln’s death, Swanson brings to light how devastating it was for the nation. The North won and weeks later their leader is killed. The assassins also tried to kill the vice president and the secretary of state. Booth was on the run for 12 days. He had many accomplices. Swanson’s book is a MUST read for all. In order to move forward we must understand the past.
I have no criticism of Swanson’s book. He provided visual aids such as a map of the chase in the back of the book, which I referred to often. As I was reading this book I was watching the news about a candidate who mentioned in the past about his state ceding. This book is not only about our past but our future as a nation also. The history is relevant to today’s topics and we must educate ourselves to make sound decision. Swanson does an excellent job in making the reader feel as though they are there with Lincoln, in Washington, and on the run with Booth. This book is excellent for YA literature to understand our nation’s history.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Lincoln's Killer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anne Crotty Meghan, I read your review and I ordered this book. I am currently working with my 8th graders on creating photo story projects about the Civil War. In my class lecture we have gotten as far as the first two battles...I can't wait to supplement mine own knowledge and that of my students by reading this book.Thanks!!! Anne

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Meghan,
This seems like a great tool for students who are studying this time period. You said you could read it in one sitting... what made it an easy read?

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Kiesel I've looked at this book multiple times and never picked it up - glad to see how great you said it was. I am definitely not going to pass this one next time!