Sapheron's Reviews > An Unforgettable Man

An Unforgettable Man by Penny Jordan

This is either a one star or five star rating; it's obvious which I chose. He is probably the CRUELEST hero I have ever come across - no lie. I think he was even slightly insane (made so by what had happened between them years before). Other heroes have blackmailed heroines into their beds before, hell, the story line might even be the same - she accepts a business loan (which he paid for from his personal expenses?WHAT?) to pay for her grandma's heart surgery. It is a loan she can only pay back by working for him for the next two years. So, when she realizes he blames her for what had happened to him and their relationship is hopeless and thus tries to renegotiate the debt, he refuses all her ideas and threatens to claim it from her recovering grandma if she doesn't become his sex slave.
What the f*cking f*ck right?
Then, when they're having sex and her inexperience begins to show he's like; "stop acting like a virgin, we both know what a big fat slut you are." Normally... as seasoned HP readers we're used to just such a scenario, but this dude has got the be the WORST judge of character or, as I suspect, completely crazy (bat-sh*t like) to miss what he's doing to her.
The chick comes out of it so messed up (and this is why it earned five stars - Penny Jordan can make you empathize in the most embarrassing way) that she begins to feel - because she still loves him though she hates herself for it - that she isn't worthy of being loved by anybody decent. I mean, after years of holding on to a dream of her one special love and finding what was behind door number two instead...
I have the worst case of heartburn now because of this book. It is 16:44 and I haven't eaten yet, and my bladder is SO full (tmi right?) but I had to get this off my chest. Any book that gets this type of rise out of me deserves a full set of stars, regardless of how much I think the hero didn't deserve his HEA.
P.S. why is it that authors (women authors in particular, Penny Jordan especially) think it's ok to cancel out 99% of emotional torture and physical abuse (of a purely sexual nature of course) with .5% of an apology from the hero, .25% groveling, and .25% a proposal of marriage and future promises he should be too ashamed to even think about asking for?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Unforgettable Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lynsey A Ha ha, Sapheron, I went the 1 star route! He was sooo horrible to her. The worst hero ever.

Sapheron Lynsey A wrote: "Ha ha, Sapheron, I went the 1 star route! He was sooo horrible to her. The worst hero ever.

However, the angst was especially good in this one. :) But the hero, still a total A-hole!"

Yeah Lynsey, this was one where I couldn't get past how cruel he was at all. But I, for one, love angst and PJ is the angst queen.

Lynsey A Oh, yes, the angst was very high in this one. My heart literally hurt for the heroine in this book.