Jenny (hades2) (Chocolate Chunky Munkie)'s Reviews > Shattered Dreams

Shattered Dreams by Ellie James

Jan 07, 12

bookshelves: kindle, review-books-arc
Read from December 08, 2011 to January 01, 2012

I was given a digital ARC of this book to review from Netgalley.

This was a bit of a slow burner for me and really never got going until right at the end. I don’t say I dislike the book, but it isn’t one that goes wow. I like books that grip me from the start, there were lots of twist and turns and it did leave me wondering what was going to happen next. With all that said I have to say that I am satisfied with the ending, it did pick up to a good pace.

The content of this book is suitable for anyone really; there are no graphic scenes or bad language. A good mix of teen characters and I think teens especially would really enjoy it. I liked the fact that there was an element of mystery and intrigue. At times I found the story very haunting.

The description of a post-Katrina New Orleans was realistic. I could certainly visualise the wake of the destruction and the devastating effect it had on people even after the event. I liked that this was tied to some of the characters in the book. I’ve never actually been to New Orleans but the author’s descriptions were very realistic.

Would I pick up another book by this author? Yes I would. I think it would be interesting to read another book in the series as I would like to see more of the main character Trinity. She was by far my favourite character in the story.

It did feel a bit spooky in places; I was quite intrigued to find out who the dark mystery man was. I do think there could have just been a little bit more detail to the plot. At times I did feel it was a little flat in places.

Cover rating: 5/5 – I think this is a really gorgeous cover and I really like
the dragonfly necklace as it is relevant to the story. The colour scheme is really nice.

My rating: 3/5 – Not a bad book, but just could have been a bit more detailed and I wish it had gripped me from the start.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shattered Dreams.