Johaleesi (formerly JJiReads)'s Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

2095735
Dec 27, 11

bookshelves: source-netgalley, favorites, genre-ya, genre-fantasy
Read from December 22 to 27, 2011

Make no mistake, this is no common Cinderella story, this is Cinderella...the new and improved version. When I read the book description the first thoughts that went through my mind were "Another Cinderella story?", "Cinderella is a Cyborg?", and "Lunar people?". All these doubts were put aside though as I read through the book and fell completely and utterly in love with the spunky and tenacious Cinder, our heroine.

Cinder is not a regular girl, she isn't even fully human, at least 36.28% of her. Having been turned Cyborg (human with mechanical parts and improvements) at a young age, and having no recollection of the event, Cinder has 1 (not 2) wicked step-sister and a step-mother that can make anyone cry. Cinder would cry at all her step-mother makes her go through, except her tear ducts were removed during her cyborg operation, giving people the impression that she has no emotion, something that couldn't be farther from the truth. Cinder having a mechanical leg and hand, which she covers up with pants and gloves, struggles with not being able to fit in with those that know what she is.

One fine day, she meets Prince Kai, who comes in to her shop seeking her services as a mechanic. He is unaware of Cinder's situation but is instantly smitten with her. In the meantime, there is a plague ravaging the planet, taking people's lives in a matter of day. Without a cure found, the government of New Beijing has resorted to drafting cyborgs to use a test subjects to find a cure, forcing them to risk their lives for the rest of humanity. Cinder's other step-sister, the one who is not evil, falls ill and Cinder is volunteered as a test subject by her evil step-mother. The series of events that happen after poses a very curious and difficult situation for Cinder and puts her again in Prince Kai's path. Is she immune to the plague and why? Does she hold answer to the cure to the plague deep in her DNA? Does she reveal to Kai that she is in fact a Cyborg?

This book was so good it's hard to put into words and do it justice. An excellent debut by Marissa Meyer. I'm excited to read the upcoming books in this series and I highly recommend it for any age. Absolutely a must read. I give it 5 stars because it definitely blew me away.

(Originally reviewed at JJiReads.blogspot.com)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.