Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair by Nina Sankovitch

Nov 05, 11

bookshelves: read2011
Recommended to Jenny (Reading Envy) by: Emma
Read on November 05, 2011

On the surface, this is a book about reading, but more than anything, this is a book about how Nina Sankovitch used reading to get through the loss of her sister at age 46. If you add that to the stories of Sankovitch's parents backgrounds, growing up in war-torn Poland and Belgium, this is not as light of a book as I was led to believe from the review I first read in a book blog. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it or resonate with it, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to everyone, for the raw grief as well as some issues with the writing. At the same time, it does speak to the restorative power of reading.

In the end, I added a few books to my to-read list from her comments. And it is a quick read - in my own tribute, I read it in one evening.

"Talking about books allows me to talk about anything with anyone. With family, friends, and even with strangers who contacted me..., when we discuss what we are reading, what we are really discussing is our own lives, our take on everything from sorrow to fidelity to responsibility, from money to religion, from worrying to inebriation, from sex to laundry, and back again."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tolstoy and the Purple Chair.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie Davis I heard them talking about this one on Books on the Nightstand as a book they'd heard was good. I'll be curious to see what you think of it because it sounds rather depressing to me (possibly aside from the purple chair ... though, it IS purple, the color of depression...) :-)

Jenny (Reading Envy) Julie wrote: "I heard them talking about this one on Books on the Nightstand as a book they'd heard was good. I'll be curious to see what you think of it because it sounds rather depressing to me (possibly aside..."
She reads a book a day. A book! A day! I'm moving this to the top of my pile. It is very exciting to me. :)

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie Davis Oh yes ... now I remember. How does she live? I mean ... she must either read short books or rarely even leave to go to the bathroom. I'm even more curious now. :-)

message 4: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome She has bionic eyes like Jenny.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Julie wrote: "Oh yes ... now I remember. How does she live? I mean ... she must either read short books or rarely even leave to go to the bathroom. I'm even more curious now. :-)"
She is a stay at home mom with grown children, so most of her reading gets done during the day, or after dinner is over. She read a mystery on Sundays when she had the least time. NOT ONLY did she read a book a day, she also blogged the book from the day before. That's almost more impressive, since it requires a certain amount of comprehension and processing. The book has a list of books read in the back; I might go through and look up the titles I don't recognize.

Judy This is on my list to read this month. I will be watching what you have to say, Jenny. A book a day is incredible! There were obviously no 1000-pagers.

message 7: by Asma (new) - added it

Asma Fedosia The main character of "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn", Francie Nolan, also reads a book a day because she likes to read. And, real people whose lives require their being informed also read a book a day. Writing prose, plays, and poetry is also connected.

message 8: by Mikki (new) - added it

Mikki Hmmmmm. I might move this back down my TBR list. However, a book a day sure is peaking my interest.

Judy Mikki wrote: "Hmmmmm. I might move this back down my TBR list. However, a book a day sure is peaking my interest."

Could you do it, Mikki?

message 10: by Mikki (new) - added it

Mikki Read a book a day? No way, well, maybe a novella.

message 11: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy Mikki wrote: "Read a book a day? No way, well, maybe a novella."

I could......if it was a children's book!