Qt's Reviews > Beat to Quarters

Beat to Quarters by C.S. Forester

Jun 07, 08

bookshelves: action-adventure, history
Read in June, 2008

I quite enjoyed "Beat to Quarters" and thought it was a fine sea-adventure tale; I didn't understand most of the nautical terms used so some of the action probably went over my head--however, I never felt lost or completely confused.

I enjoyed the writing style, which was pleasant and easy to read, with plenty of humorous touches. The ocean battles were exciting and dramatic; Hornblower was a good character, and the strategies he uses were interesting and never boring.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beat to Quarters.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann Have you read other Hornblower books? They seem like something I would like - concept wise - if the style, etc., is good as well.

message 2: by Qt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Qt No, I haven't read any others; I was torn about where to start, because this is the first one the author wrote (I think) but not the first chronologically. (Kind of like Redwall). But, I figured I'd start where he did :-) They do sound intriguing and like good summer adventure stories, so we'll see!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann I like your idea of "starting where the author did" - that's kind of a neat way of going about it, and fun to see how his ideas all grew!!:D

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Oh! I was going to ask the same as Annie, if this was your first Hornblower tale! :-p I hope you enjoy it and that this proves the best book to start with into the series. Do keep me posted. I saw part of the miniseries from TV several years ago and thought it was intriguing--I've always kind of been "into" tales of seafaring--and thought of trying the novels but never quite got there. Do keep us posted! :-)

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann Wasn't "Pippin" in that... No - no that was "Master and Commander" - it was Tom Riddle, I think, who was in it - yeah?

message 6: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Yup! Definitely in a cuter role, as I recall!

message 7: by X (new)

X Wasn't Tom Riddle cute? ;)

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann ;>

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann Well, okay yes, he was!

message 10: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Yes... if only looking at him.

message 11: by Qt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Qt LOL! :-D
That's neat the miniseries had Tom Riddle; I hadn't seen it (but had heard of it). Anyway, it sounds like it will be a good sea adventure and a nice summer book, so I'll let you know!

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann Great review, Q!! Thanks so much!! It sounds quite interesting and enjoyable! It will be interesting to see how the series continue given the differing publication dates/story lines. Thanks for the review!!

message 13: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Thanks for the excellent review, Q. I had been concerned about the gory-ness of the book; somehow, seafaring novels, especially in wartime eras, have tended unfortunately toward that route--so I may skip this one. Still, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

message 14: by Qt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Qt Yes, somehow I was thinking since it was written in the 30s it wouldn't be very graphic. Oh well :-)

Loosechanj I thought the mini-series with Ioan Griffud was *terrible*, the character was just all wrong. There was a movie decades ago that wasn't much better, since it crammed three of the novels together.

I just reread this one for the zillionth time.