Katie's Reviews > Gathering Blue

Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

Apr 10, 12

Read from October 23 to 24, 2011, read count: 2

Picking up books for friends to read is always a tough job. How will you know what will fascinate them like you do yourself? Thankfully, the coworker I was trying to find a book to lend too had already read The Giver and loved it.

Looking at my bookshelves, Gathering Blue called out to me and I had to read it again. I enjoyed all 215 pages of the book. It was a quick, easy read. Not the best Lois Lowry book out there, but a good one all the same.

One thing readers must keep in mind with Giver book trilogy is that each book is stand alone. You could read any of them without having read the others - what ties them together is that they are set in the same dystopian universe. Some could argue that Messenger is something of a sequel to Gathering Blue, but it's not a direct one for the main character of it is a side character of Gathering Blue (Matt is quite the lovable tyke). Still, each could be read on their own.

I understand where Kira is coming from throughout the book - it's tough being the outcast, the reject, and having to always fight for your right to live. She may not have had to do that directly, but she did so by being useful in whatever way she could. She also grew up with her Mother as her protector and understandably feels lost without her ever present shield to protect her. That being said, I feel that Kira had a rather weak reaction to the horrible things happening in her village. What the Singer endures, the tykes of the Fen and the Fen people, and the awful coincidence of all three Artists being orphaned.

That makes her more of a real person, though, than many fictional characters we read about. She has a hard time doing something about the awful things around her - many people would have the same, hard time. It is a rare individual that stands against the majority in what is right and just.

I would recommend this book for a quick read on a rainy afternoon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gathering Blue.

Quotes Katie Liked

Lois Lowry
“Take pride in your pain; you are stronger than those who have none”
Lois Lowry, Gathering Blue

Lois Lowry
“Because of fear, they made shelter and found food and grew things. For the same reason, weapons were stored, waiting.”
Lois Lowry, Gathering Blue