Katie's Reviews > Squire

Squire by Tamora Pierce

Oct 31, 11

Read from October 29 to 31, 2011, read count: 2

As part of a project of mine, I am reading some of my childhood favorites again. Part fun, part exploration - I expect to learn something about myself in the process.

Both First Test and Page are good books if a little short. So far, Squire has them beat in terms of length as this one is quite a bit longer. My biggest problem with the writing style is that there is too much reiterating, too much summary of what has already happened. I think it's a bit insulting - like saying we can't follow along and remember this. At the same time, it makes it so you could read this book standalone without a lot of confusion. I know it's written for young-adults, but I just don't like this whole "and we are doing this because of what happened last time." I just don't feel we need those explanations.

That flaw, however, is fairly easy to overlook and ignore in the process of reading. Keladry is getting to be quite predictable in her actions - well, she was earlier on in the books as well but it is a little more pronounced now.

I think her crushes and the resulting relationship she has are well done. She has doubts, fears, and fluttering feelings. There are three different men that she has feelings for in this book, but that does not make her a fickle person. Someone reviewed that they really disliked Kel's lack of commitment - I think that for her age she was rather committed. Love's scary and Kel is afraid of being hurt. That's normal. Wanting to protect herself is normal. Romantic love, while great, will not always last. Until she's been with her hubby for a while longer and faced difficulties in the relationship, there's no need for commitment.

There's also the consideration of the time period this realm is set in. Girls were often married young and having children young in that type of setting. Love was not a part of the equation for most. Pierce adds the possibility of love to this type of time period rather realistically. While some may think of marriage as a wonderful commitment and worthy of pursuit, in Kel's world it is chains that tie her down - not to her man to keep her from straying, but from her freedom to be an independent, powerful and strong woman.

Of course, if she marries someone that truly loves her for who she is that wouldn't be an issue. However, her mom says it all when she mentions that they are but broads for breeding. Times are changing in Tortall though. There's hope that breeding won't be the focus and love a possibility.

Also, not very many people talk about this but the pregnancy charm? I view it as birth control. Yes, our birth control is not 100% effective but think of it this way - what guarantees that you are buying a real pregnancy charm? How long do they last? Is more active use (more sex) more draining on it? Can they break? Does physical damage ruin the charm? There are many possibilities for the pregnancy charm to fail. Kel's mother points out that she should be ready for children before lying with a man, but that the pregnancy charm can protect her. That implies that it might fail (or fail due to human error ie not wearing the charm).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Squire.

Quotes Katie Liked

Tamora Pierce
“I'm sick of this. Call me what you like, say I'm without honor, I don't care. I'm not getting on any more horses to whack you people with a stick.”

Tamora Pierce
“When people say a knight's job is all glory, I laugh and laugh and laugh. Often I can stop laughing before they edge away and talk about soothing drinks.”

Tamora Pierce
“There is a saying in the Islands. Beware the women of the warrior class, for all they touch is both decorative and deadly.-Yuki”

Tamora Pierce
“My new knight mistress is famed for wielding sharp edges: Sword, Knife and Tongue!”

Tamora Pierce
“Haven’t you ever noticed that people who win say it’s because the gods know they are in the right, but if they lose, it wasn’t the gods who declared them wrong? Their opponent cheated, or their equipment was bad.”

10/29/2011 page 47
11.0% "Time to follow the King's Own."
10/30/2011 page 112