Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads)'s Reviews > Romeo and Juliet

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
5183631
's review
Feb 04, 13

did not like it
bookshelves: give-me-the-flamethrower, unpredictable, fail
Read in May, 2007

I was thinking the other day and decided, "Hey! Why don't I write up a review for the world's possibly most effed up play ever. Why not?" So I'm going to. As you can probably tell this will not be eloquently written and in fact, I do not give a flying purple monkey about the romanticism behind the idiocy that went down that one week in Verona, (It all happened in on week!), because this play has bothered me since forever and it isn't about to change now! On with the review!


SPOILER ALERT!!

Over the ages people have swooned and very literally pined over and wished for a love such as Romeo and Juliet's. Schnitzel, most of the books published these days have the same pathetic star-crossed lovers theme to it! It's ridiculous really, what little sadists we are on the inside. Because somehow a stupid,stupid,STUPIDboy killing himself when he finds the woman he loves deadafter grave-digging her out btwis suddenly the ideal fairy-tale, and then that girl waking up to find him dead only to stab herself to death is instant TRUE WUV!



PSSSHH!



No way is any of that effed up monkey business even intelligent. One, Romeo you were a tool, and secondly, Juliet you should have ceased the opportunity to live on! He was totally in it for the sex, I mean he liked that Rosaline chick when he thought he could get his hands on her sex, why not a severely younger girl's? Nah, it makes no difference right? Right?

I declare B.S. It does so make a difference, although I will admit to getting the whole 'back then they didn't care about age' argument. Granted they didn't, but within a week you cannot fall in love and then be willing to die for that love, that is straight up whacked. Try telling me that is rational and I will deliver personally the flying monkey fist to your face, because it isn't. That kind of relationship is not love, it's obsessive, creepily and utterly obsessive .

And you know what? This may even be a little hypocritical of me, since I was all team Dimitri and I accept that, but at least Rose wasn't 13!

Some theories I believe in:

- Friar Lawrence was the mastermind behind it all! If he had slapped on an extra donkey to that letter, the plan would have reached at least a day early. It's called express mail, sucker!

Photobucket

- Both Romeo and Juliet really had no lives, I mean I meet a guy I like within a week and things are great, but for some reason I end up playing dead medieval princesses in my house and he comes over, sees me 'dead', and then proceeds to kill himself? I'd be glad, because the guy is a whole new level of messed. WHO DOES THAT?? Apparently Romeo and Juliet. Frick, what happened to being self-dependent, it seems that even in the fifteenth century it did not exist. Who can blame Bella for going off the deep end? There wasn't much too look up to anyway.

And one thing I never could get:

Romeo: HOW ABOUT YOU WAIT UNTIL SHE'S REALLY DEAD?! He must have been really thirsty, took him no time at all to gobble up that poison. I mean ever heard of water, or Rum, bud?

Juliet this should have been you:




That guy was finally gone, why did we not party? I would have liked a party.

I will never love this play. The timeline is ridiculous and the emotions too rash to ever be realistic. Shakespeare I love you and believe you are a genius, but this is one piece of yours I will never like.
31 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Romeo and Juliet.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

03/17 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

this review is pure perfection. i agree with you in every single way.


message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Worst play of his, ever. Macbeth for the win.


Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads) Midnight_Kiss wrote: "Worst play of his, ever. Macbeth for the win."

Oh, Othello is well behind this one for the running, but somehow Desdemona's complete and utter acquiescence fell short in the end. Macbeth is twisted and absolutely lovely!


Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads) aleksandra wrote: "this review is pure perfection. i agree with you in every single way."

I appreciate that, it's good to know not everyone swoons over these two. Thanks! :D


Misao I'm reading this one at the school and while I'm reading it, I can't stop thinking that the story is boring and ridiculous. I can't understand why this story is so famous and is named the best love story in the world 'cause I think that is horrible and sincerely, a shit.


message 6: by Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads) (last edited Oct 23, 2011 02:13PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads) Misao wrote: "I'm reading this one at the school and while I'm reading it, I can't stop thinking that the story is boring and ridiculous. I can't understand why this story is so famous and is named the best love..."

Why thank you, Misao. I too believe that this play is, as you say, a shit. :D


message 7: by Seth (new) - added it

Seth Ben-Ezra I didn't think that Shakespeare intended it to be a great love story. Rather, I think that we're supposed to see Romeo and Juliet's actions as the height of foolishness, the culmination of their families' foolish feud. Thus, all are punished in their children's deaths. Because, yeah, I don't see romance. I see two dumb kids caught up in their hormones and folly.


Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads) Greatwolf wrote: "I didn't think that Shakespeare intended it to be a great love story. Rather, I think that we're supposed to see Romeo and Juliet's actions as the height of foolishness, the culmination of their fa..."

I think you might be on to something there, maybe it was meant more as an allegory than romantic tragedy. With the amount of stupidity that goes on in the play, I wouldn't doubt it!


Brett Talley Dude. You gave Twilight five stars!


Anagha This made my day! I love what kind of stuff you can find on your homepage at 10pm on a Sunday. LOL! Best slam review to probably the most ridiculous "classic" ever published, not counting Wuthering Heights. And writers actually decide to base stories off this! Love everything about this review, way to go!


Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads) Brett wrote: "Dude. You gave Twilight five stars!"

Hey! I will have you know that was before the fan girls and annoying Robert Pattinson craze. It was kinda decent back then and I claim temporary insanity lol


message 12: by Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads) (last edited Mar 25, 2012 07:35PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads) Anagha wrote: "This made my day! I love what kind of stuff you can find on your homepage at 10pm on a Sunday. LOL! Best slam review to probably the most ridiculous "classic" ever published, not counting Wuthering..."

Haha thank you! Don't get me wrong, I do love Shakespeare, this one play just happens to go against everything I agree with. The man is a genius regardless, but I just don't believe, as some people would claim, that Romeo and Juliet is his best work :)


Samantha I think it was all that goody-goody Rosaline's fault... she should have just loved Romeo back. If she had, we wouldn't have to waste our time bombing on the play!


Na He Jeon I cannot add a single comment to this ; you said everything I wanted to say


Teresa I am going to be silent on my opinion about R&J...because your awesome review pretty much says it all!


Jenna This is seriously the best review ever.


Marly This play was written as a tragedy. Filmmakers have portrayed it more as a romanic tragedy, but I don't think Shakespeare intended Romeo and Juliet to be viewed as star crossed lovers. Just my opinion and I enjoyed your review. :0)


message 18: by Meli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meli ^Agreed with the above, Shakespeare knew good and well that Romeo and Juliet were stupid and lustful. It's just modern people that have turned it into this "grand love story". (Actually, it was probably the Victorians; they were good at doing stuff like that)


message 19: by Somerandom (new)

Somerandom ^ Agreed with above. I never took it as a romance, no matter who told me it was. Not my fave Shakespeare Play, but I don't think William Bloody Shakespeare of all people, would write insipid characters accidentally!


Bella Grace Mail kills...when it isn't delivered on time. I hope those fuckers at the post who get my mail late will understand our point. *snarls*

Fab review, BTW. Loveeee. :D


Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads) Bella wrote: "Mail kills...when it isn't delivered on time. I hope those fuckers at the post who get my mail late will understand our point. *snarls*

Fab review, BTW. Loveeee. :D"


Oh I agree, I hate late mail! Romeo and Juliet is indeed a cautionary tale. Oh and <3 back, thanks for the like!


message 22: by Muthanna (new) - added it

Muthanna Yamani Time
A


Lexie D. Only piece of Shakespeare I've read, I really hope the others are better and I agree wth your review 10000000000 percent


Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads) Lexie wrote: "Only piece of Shakespeare I've read, I really hope the others are better and I agree wth your review 10000000000 percent"

Haha yes! Twelfth Night is my favorite so there is hope :) Othello has a few flaws but it is worth the read and makes you think, also good are a Midsummer's Dream and The Merchant of Venice. Thank you!!


back to top