Suzanne's Reviews > The Broken Teaglass

F_50x66
Oct 10, 11

bookshelves: mysteries
Read in October, 2011

Initially, I thought I was going to be raving about this work, but by the time I finished it, my enthusiasm had waned. The setting is certainly unusual, and that is probably what held my attention in the beginning. I could not help but compare lexicographers and the lexicographical process and setting with librarians and libraries. However, the story-within-a-story detective plot was clearly influenced (not to say inspired) by "Possession," and ultimately, it just felt derivative. The resolution is flat. The main characters do not develop. No one develops. The "revelation" about the main character felt contrived and manipulative. I was reading it as an e-book, and actually had begun reading the acknowledgements in the back without realizing that the narrative had ended. I'm still looking for closure. Yes, I realize that in this post-modern world, closure is not required. That doesn't stop me from looking for it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Broken Teaglass.