Jennifer (Books&Barks)'s Reviews > Chosen

Chosen by Denise Grover Swank

Oct 10, 11

Read in October, 2011

Received this book to review as part of a book tour.

Chosen, by Denise Grover Swank, tells the story of a prophecy and how two sides will now do just about anything to make sure they come out the winner in a future war. I really enjoyed the twists and turns in this novel and can’t wait to read book two in the series. I want to know what happens with Emma and Will - the next book has to have some major confrontations in it based on the way book one ended.

Emma and her five year old son Jake have been on the run for over 3 years from mystery men that are bound and determined to capture them for some unknown purpose. Emma knows that they are after Jake for his mind-reading capabilities, but other than that she knows nothing about these men or who they work for. So far Jake’s ability to sense the “Bad Men” has enabled the two to evade capture, but their luck is soon to run out - unless mercenary Will Davenport can help them. Will has been sent by another group to bring Emma to a secret location in South Dakota. After meeting up with Emma and Jake and wheedling himself into their lives, he is soon drawn to Emma and becomes less willing to bring her in.

The story has a nice build up of suspense with several action scenes thrown into the mix. Emma isn’t a damsel in distress kind of girl, not usually anyways, and doesn’t immediately fall for Will’s charm. It was interesting to see how the two come to know one another better, and to watch how they end up being attracted to each other and learn to trust again. They were an easy couple to like, especially as the reader learns more about each of their pasts and what has led them to make the decisions they have.

After Will learns about a prophecy from Jake, who is growing in his powers, he also receives a special tattoo that magically appears on his arm. This prophecy is actually quite fascinating, and I would really like to know how everything is going to play out in the end! Is Jake going to end up being a bringer of evil? How are Will and Emma going to evade capture by both sides looking for them? What kind of powers are Will and Emma going to end up having? These are all questions I want to know the answers to, and can’t wait to read book two to hopefully find them out! Mrs. Swank has created an intriguing novel that kept my attention throughout and also had me wondering what would happen next.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chosen.