Melissa 's Reviews > Juliet Immortal

Oct 13, 11

liked it
bookshelves: teen-paranormal-fiction, teen-fantasy, read-in-2011, with-reviews
Read from October 10 to 12, 2011

Juliet wakes up in the body of teenage girl Ariel, a girl whose scars are more than just skin deep. Juliet is an Ambassador, someone who is supposed to give soul mates a push in the right direction, and help them find their way together. But the universe requires balance, and for Juliet’s good, there must be a force of evil. Enter Romeo. For centuries these two have fought over the fates of soul mates; Juliet for good and Romeo for the evil cause of the Mercenaries. Something is different about this latest shift for both Juliet and Romeo. Both are weaker, and for the first time, Juliet isn’t able to contact Nurse for guidance. The mirrors have gone dark and specters of their former selves haunt them. Can Juliet save the soul mates she was sent to unite, or will her own love for one of them, stand in her way?

I honestly am not sure what to make of this novel. Perhaps I should have waited a little longer to absorb the book before writing my review, but I am not sure that would help. I just can’t seem to sort out my feelings for this novel.

I guess I should start with the obvious question: Did I like this book? Again, this is a difficult question for me to answer. There are some parts that I enjoyed, I liked Juliet’s character, I thought her romance with Ben was sweet, and I like how she stood up for Ariel with Ariel’s mother and others. Juliet was a spunky heroine trapped in a timid person’s body. As to the rest of the story, it just didn’t mesh for me.

Ariel’s best friend Gemma, is a bit chaotic, going one minute from sweet likable girl to mean manipulative witch. It was exhausting trying to keep up with her mood swings. I also didn’t like how Juliet needed to push Ben away. Romeo, however was a train wreck. You don’t know whether to hate him or feel sorry for him. One minute he tries to force himself on Juliet and the next he is begging her to love him again—I guess that is accurate for an abusive relationship, but it just didn’t achieve any coherency for me.

Overall the story just lacks explanations and coherency especially the mythology surrounding the Ambassadors and the Mercenaries. I do like how the author tried to incorporate the story of Romeo and Juliet, that was definitely a pleasant choice, but I think the mythology kind of lost me. I just didn’t get it.

There is an audience for this book, and I can see teens enjoying this book enough to overlook those gaps in the mythology. This book will appeal to fans of the original play who like to see a modern twist to the old story. Be warned though, this novel isn’t for the faint of heart. Be prepared for gore, extreme violence, and even some sexual violence.

Cautions for sensitive readers: Language, violence, gore, and sexual violence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juliet Immortal.

10/12/2011 page 111