Carla's Reviews > Fab: An Intimate Life of Paul McCartney

Fab by Howard Sounes

Nov 01, 11

bookshelves: kindle-library-books
Read from October 10 to 31, 2011

In spite of the fact that this book is so large I thought I’d never finish it, I enjoyed it immensely. Even though I am a “child of the Sixties” and have always enjoyed the music of that decade - including the Beatles’ - I never thought or cared much one way or another about the details of the Beatles’ lives (or about “post-Beatle” Paul McCartney.) In spite of that, I was aware on some level of what was going on in music and in the world during that decade and since then, so I had heard bits and pieces about many of the things that are in this book. But, I knew none of the actual details, and that might be what made this book so fascinating for me.

I appreciate the fact that the author appears to have done exhaustive research in writing this book, because that makes me think that he pretty much knows what he’s talking about, and that most of the information is true. This is not a “tabloid piece.” Rather, it’s what the title implies: an intimate look at the life of the “cute” Beatle. By the end of the book I found myself truly admiring this man who, at least as he is portrayed in this book, appears to be a truly class act...especially for someone who suddenly found himself on the world’s biggest stage, as a member of one of the biggest musical acts in history, before age 20.

I think anyone who enjoys biographies and memoirs would like this book. (And, in the end, it’s not as huge as it first appears, because the final one-fourth of it consists of notes, acknowledgments, index, etc.) There are also quite a few photographs in two sections of the book, which I always appreciate in a biography. Reading the book reminded me of many Beatles songs (and Paul’s solo songs) that I had forgotten about, and I enjoyed that aspect of it so much that I have purchased two albums as a direct result of reading the book, and plan to buy more in the future.

Finally, I want to add that I checked this out from my local library as an e-book, and found the formatting to be pretty much flawless. This is always welcome, and gives me some hope that e-book publishers are finally starting to get it ...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fab.