Amber Harris's Reviews > The Fool's Girl

The Fool's Girl by Celia Rees

Oct 10, 11

bookshelves: owned, never-again, read-in-2011, faerietales-retold
Read from September 22 to October 10, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Although tedious and slightly scattered, The Fool's Girl is yet another retelling of an old, beloved fairytale.. except this one doesn't trail as far back as Hansel and Grethel or Jack and the Beanstalk - hailing from Elizabethan England, Twelfth Night is comedy, tragedy, drama, and resolution. I found Rees' style frustration - there are characters presented as important who ultimately show know purpose at all (I am thinking of Tod, here), and there is a great deal of talk and travel, what I generally refer to as "filler". It grew tedious. The important plot points felt so few and far between that they got lost and I was distracted from them.

Anyone familiar with Shakespeare will appreciate the references to many of his other plays beside Twelfth Night. Off the top of my head, I can think of four: Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Hamlet, and Richard III. In that way, it was charming to see the crossovers and where Rees revealed Shakespeare's inspiration. In many ways, Shakespeare's story in this book is much more interesting than Violetta's.

A certain level of appreciation for Shakespeare is required to enjoy this book on any level, and i would not recommend it to the people who have a difficult time relating to Shakespeare or to his work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fool's Girl.

10/10/2011 page 270
91.0% "Last 27 pages and I still pick it up, read a page, put it down, and regret reading the page I just did. Enter Will Shakespeare, spy and mastermind? It's just too much. It started off delightful, but international incident? Really?"