Alison's Reviews > A Prayer for Owen Meany

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

Jun 01, 08

bookshelves: to-read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Prayer for Owen Meany.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Meghan Oh I hope you like this book. I'm not a huge fan of Irving, but this is one of those books that just blew me away. I've found either you love this book or hate it. But I'll be looking forward to reading your review!

message 2: by Alison (last edited May 14, 2008 12:15PM) (new) - added it

Alison I basically picked this one up at the library due to ravings from you (and Sarah, I think). My last trip to the library was a hodge-podge of selections. I'm looking forward to it!

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Alison-This is a good one. Very well written, wonderfully complex characters, and tragic with humor infused at every turn. It's hard to say I LOVED this book because it didn't make me "feel good inside" at all times. However, I really, really liked it because I thought it captured humanity in a raw, honest way. I fell in love with the characters.
You know this is what the movie Simon Burch is based on.

message 4: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison I was vaguely aware of that...I can't imagine how someone played Owen.

Robbie Bashore I think I've said this in another thread somewhere--I never saw Simon Birch, but I saw the cover of the DVD, and the guy that had play him is really *nothing* like I imagined Owen Meany.

This is one of my favorite books ever--I hope you like it, too!

Sarah Null The movie was verrrry loosely based on the book. Actually, the movie was very loosely based on about 1/3 of the book. Alison, it probably was me who raved about this. It's in my top 5 favorites of all time, I think. After reading it I thought I would love all things Irving. I did like The World According to Garp but not as well as Owen.

message 7: by Alison (last edited May 19, 2008 08:42PM) (new) - added it

Alison Yeah...I remember you liking it, Sarah (and now, Robbie, too!). I'm only about 100 pages in, but it's very funny. Owen is already an unforgettable literary character. You know, my friend has a little boy named Owen. If I'd read this first, I don't know if I would have let her use that name. The voice!!