Birgit's Reviews > The Grand Design

The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking

Oct 10, 11

Being one of the most influential physicists of our time Stephen Hawking has contributed a lot to the field of cosmology over the years. In The Grand Design he once again brings the interested reader closer to understanding the universe and how it works.
Why is the universe the way it is? This is just one of the questions which Hawking tackles by shedding light on recent discoveries and theoretical advances in his field. Presenting itself as a concise survey that covers the history behind the modern view of the universe this book is written for those of non-scientific background which, admittedly, some might view as a bit too simplistic. However, it is exactly the kind of book on science, or rather physics, that a girl like me needs. Why? Because apart from being a really fascinating topic, it is highly comprehensibly written, making the quest for a unified theory of the universe accessible to the reader without causing major headaches. And both the subtle humor and the interspersed cartoons are just an added bonus.
Granted, I still can't wrap my mind around those eleven dimensions, but no one's perfect. Let me introduce you to the M-theory which is (at the moment anyway) the only candidate for a complete theory of the universe, or rather for a universe that creates itself. No creator necessary.
In short: To some the answer is 42, to Hawking it's the M-theory!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grand Design.