Deviant Geek's Reviews > A Taste of Irrationality: Sample chapters from Predictably Irrational and Upside of Irrationality

A Taste of Irrationality by Dan Ariely

Oct 30, 11

bookshelves: favorites, my-ebooks, non-fiction, society, economy
Read from October 10 to 30, 2011

This isnt really a book, it's a sample of chapters from another book by the same author called the upside of irrationality.
It talks of really interesting facts regarding our society and it's most important factors and what roles they play in our lives and how severely they shape them.. Social and economical norms.
It's very fascinating. When he talked about money and selfishness. We think that by paying for something we own it and everything else related to it so we seldom think of other people's need or wants because it's our right.
But having something given to u for free. U start to think of others and put them into account.
One really good study conducted in a campus where they offered fruit gums for free and other times for a cent that 75 people bought around 3 to 4 pieces of fruit gums.
When the fruit gums were offered for free there were around 200+ people. Tripe the amount of people and if u think that the second law of demand would apply here then Ur wrong. The lower the prices didn't increase the demand. As each one of them had only ONE fruit gums. Meaning? Being less selfish. Thinking more of others and their need of having the fruit gums. Makes you think doesn't it?
This is only one example and there are many other. Just as fascinating and marvelous as this one. And they would definitely get Ur mind ticking.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Taste of Irrationality.