Kristan (Lost Amongst the Shelves)'s Reviews > Cicada

Cicada by Belle Whittington

Oct 09, 2011

bookshelves: ebook
Read from October 09 to 11, 2011

Cicada is a really fun and fast read that is making me miss summertime... a lot. It follows a group of friends for the summer, with the focus on the main protaganist Blair, in a small town in Texas. I loved the closeness of this group of friends, how when faced with the scary reality of a certain situation (don't want to give too much away) they stick together and look out for one another at all costs. That was probably my favorite part of the book. Blair's older brother, Andrew, was especially protective of his sister and showcases such an intense bond with his younger sister that makes me wish I had an older brother to tag along with! Then there was also Everett, bug boy, who captured a soft spot in my heart being the science nerd that I am!

The plot of this book is something definitely new to me, since I haven't picked up a lot of sci-fi, so I was treading in unfamiliar territory for the most part. I found the story to be an original and unique creation that would peak the interest of those who like the extraterrestrials. Its very nice to see a story that strays away from the typical vampire/werewolf/faerie character. I thought the concept of the cicada was VERY creative and portrayed in a very different and creepy way! There is a definitive air of mystery to this story that give the readers (and characters) a real sense of unease...I don't want to give too much away! I will say though, that from the first page you truly feel like you're part of the secret.

I did feel as if the story was a little too quick though and I would have liked to have seen a little bit more progression in the plot. The summer just seemed to fly by! If it were to have slowed down a bit, I think that there could have been some great potential to delve a little bit deeper into the story and how certain scenarios came to be. A lot of the times we were simply being told what had happened, instead of being shown and that caused me to be a little disconnected. I will say that the ending was sadly sweet and really does envoke some heart wrenching emotion! I also wish there was a bit more detail in certain descriptions. After finishing the book I'm having a little trouble picturing what certain characters look like in my head.

Overall, Cicada is a quick read that has opened the door to a potentially new and inventive twist to the sci-fi/paranormal genre. I haven't read another story quite like it and look forward to seeing where the sequel, Firefly, will take you. I'm crossing my fingers for a happy ending for Blair, Andrew, Everett and the rest of the gang!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cicada.

10/09/2011