Cassie's Reviews > To Own a Dragon: Reflections on Growing Up Without a Father

To Own a Dragon by Donald Miller

Jan 25, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read in January, 2011

This may only be the second work of Donald Miller's that I have read, but he is quickly becoming a favorite. His writing is always light, humorous and conversational - which works for me. He writes from life and what he knows, and the uncertainty he has struggled with along the way. I was initially attracted to this book because: a) I knew it would be spiritually related; and b) I lost my father at a very young age. This book is clearly not designed for the female reader, and makes the assumption that only men are reading it. Although, this was the case, and some of Miller's points pertain strictly to males, I was able to take things away from the book. I highlighted and dog-earred pages until my heart's content. I know a big part of my struggle with God is my lack of trust in him and my inability to view him as a father, because of the baggage I have with my own. This is obviously something that Miller struggles with as well, but has found male mentors throughout his life to help distinguish our earthly fathers from our heavenly father. I'm hoping to pass this along to my brothers and they are able to take away even more from it than I have.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Own a Dragon.