Janaye's Reviews > Brain Jack

Brain Jack by Brian Falkner

Oct 10, 11

bookshelves: 2011, dystopia
Read from October 09 to 10, 2011

This was a really original take on an apocalyptic/dystopian novel but I was not all that impressed. There were several times throughout the book that I felt that something was not explained properly and so I wandered around confused because I could not pinpoint exactly where my confusion came from so I could not go back and reread a specific part. I felt that some of the characters were not needed and this was just annoying.

Sam's best friend should have either not been involved or should have been a lot more. When he is suddenly revealed that he is gaming himself to death I didn't feel connected enough to his character to feel bad. He was there one second and gone the next and then POOF here he is again. It was hard to get invested in it.

I did really like the way Falkner chose to describe Ursula and Sam's experience with/as her/it. I had never really thought of anything like that. But I am confused as to why Sam was able to do it but not Dodge. I know that he was the protagonist but there comes a point where its like... really? Is he THAT amazing?

I wasn't impressed with the excerpt at the back of the book from one of Falkner's other works and I don't think that I would read another of Falkner's books. His style is boorish and at times it feels as though he is trying too hard rather than just letting the work flow and speak for itself. I think this book was so good because the IDEA was very good, the writing itself left much to be desired.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brain Jack.

10/09/2011 page 272
74.0% "For the most part I really like this book. It is interesting and a different type of apocalyptic novel I haven't read before. That being said there has been several times where I was really confused because something happened out of no where. Some things could be explained better."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Noah I completely agree that Sam's former best friend needed to either be a big part of the story or not there at all. I agree with your subtle statement that Sam is a almost perfect character. He seems to be able to hack almost anything with ease (like the White House, major tech companies...), and he seems to forget about his family and past when he moves on to bigger and better things. I think that Flakner made Dodge not able to do the things that Sam did with Ursula so that he could write about the experience because the book was focused on Sam's perspective. I do agree that the author pushed too hard at some points, but I think that it was good because of more than just the idea. Falkner was able to explain and write about the hacking in a very relatable way (like the guarding the wall analogy), and Falkner was able to lay out a great backstory to feed the idea.