Donna's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

May 16, 13

bookshelves: fantasy, romance, teen, booktalks
Read in October, 2011

It took me a long time to read this one, but I'm glad I stayed with it. To say it's about an "angel" falling in love with a "devil" really does it a disservice. In Taylor's world, Seraphim are a winged humanoid race who have been at war with the animal-like humanoid races of Chimaera for thousands of years. So, it's really a story about two people setting aside their prejudices and believing in hope, peace and love rather than the endless killing that's plagued both of their peoples for millennia.

That's all wrapped within a story about an art student in Prague who was raised by strange magical creatures who give her beads that grant wishes in exchange for carrying out mysterious odd jobs.

The book ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, with a promise that the story will be continued. I debated whether to give it 4 or 5 stars, and would probably say 4.5. It's well written overall, but started off slow. I thought the Seraphim/Chimaera premise was a bit silly until more of their true natures were revealed. By the end I was really hooked.