jamie's Reviews > Letter to My Daughter

Letter to My Daughter by Maya Angelou

Oct 28, 11

Read in October, 2011

I've admired Maya Angelou long before i read her beautifully written memoir, "I know why the caged bird sings." Even though this book is short and some stories are taken from her memoirs, i still enjoyed her words of wisdom and advice. I love the story when she was encouraged by a very wise man to thank God that she can see because there are millions that can't see, to thank God because she can hear because there are millions that can't hear, etc. She says that if you can't change a situation, change your perspective.

in the last chapter she writes about a time in her life when she was agnostic. Her singing teacher asked her to read "God loves me" over and over again. She was annoyed at first that he kept asking her to say it, but as she said those three words over and over again it started to sink into her heart. by the seventh time, she was in tears and was overwhelmed by the love of God. listening to her talk about how God's love has continued to grow deeper and deeper in her heart, i realized that i have not felt God's love in a long time. and it is all my fault. i pushed God away and, as a result, my heart has grown cold, doubtful and cynical. i don't know how i let it become this way. i don't even know why i rejected His love. probably a culmination of a lot of things: sin, guilt, doubt, wanting control of my life. And it's the worst place to be. I find myself relating to the time before I gave my life to Christ: panicked because i no longer know the important answers about life. When i first gave my life to Christ, the assurance of salvation, and hope completely overwhelmed me that I couldn't think about God without crying and feeling a deep sense of gratitude and joy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letter to My Daughter.