Benn Peek's Reviews > The Dialogues of Plato

The Dialogues of Plato by Plato

U 50x66
Jan 23, 12

Read from October 09, 2011 to January 23, 2012

I've finished Apology, a dialogue entitled Ion, Phaedro, the subsequnce of the Apology, adn have now finished Book I of Plato's Republic (which still plays into the dialogues, and is not a novel of its own). Socrates has a Christ like demeanor, and to me eerily resembles the Christian messiah, although this may be the work of the interpretor. Main points in the dialogues raise a candle to not only statements in philosophies, but can summarize entire theologies in the process.

The conflicts in The Platonic dialogues appear in the form of questions. Socrates, being the nomadic objector, will get involved in conversation with varieties of castes, and they will engage in a discussions. In the case of Apology, this is the climax, wherein Socrates merely gives the monologue of his defense. History reveals that this was resolved with poison.
The books of the republic are formatted in the way of arguments, where Socrates' is unable to convince stubborn nobles of justice and truth.

The instance of most clarity in the book is during Apology, where Socrates defends the Oracles for deeming him the wisest of all men. He says to his aquisitors "The oracle knows that there is no man wiser, for any wise man, like Socrates, knows that his wisdom means nothing." I've no reason to resent any falcet of the writing thus far, though the archaic writing leaves me to rereading, which is why my progress is so limited.
Anyone with an appreciation for knowledge and morals ought to read the dialogues, if not to learn, then to reenforce what we already know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dialogues of Plato.

10/27/2011 page 174
42.0% ""Go I must, to all who appear to know.""