Meg's Reviews > Xenocide

Xenocide by Orson Scott Card

Oct 09, 11

Read in October, 2011

Much like Speaker for the Dead, I was excited to read more about Ender, but this book left me feeling slightly disappointed. I still tore through it, wondering what the heck Orson Scott Card was going to come up with next, and I certainly have to say I couldn't see any of it coming beforehand. What I didn't like about this book is that while Speaker for the Dead was starting to get complex, this book got completely out of hand.

In my opinion, there were far too many characters accompanied by a mind-numbing number of arguments and long-winded dialogue about theoretical physics, genetics, evolution, politics, philosophy, reality, space/time, knowledge, religion, race, society, choice, heroism, intelligence, sex, disability, psychology, right vs wrong, etc. Incorporating lots of characters and discussing complex issues is fine, but in this book it just felt very jumbled together, and that many details got lost along the way trying to fit in all the wrestling with such huge issues. Sometimes it felt more like Card was merely using the book to share his own deep thoughts rather than actually tell a story about the characters.

This book definitely could have used some editing, but I'm still glad I read it, and given all the crazy stuff that's happened already, I do have to wonder what else Card has up his sleeve for the last novel in the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Xenocide.