A.C.'s Reviews > Jacob's Room & The Waves: Two Complete Novels

Jacob's Room & The Waves by Virginia Woolf

Jun 10, 08

Read in June, 2008

I'm still currently reading this text as I've only finished Jacob's Room. This review will only deal with that for now. Once I've finished The Waves, you can guess the rest.

With regards to Jacob's room, it shows a very interesting portrait of a soldier. It was interesting because the novel does not mention the war until the end of the story. But, as Woolf intended, this was not the interest of the story. The interest of the story, as I soon realized, is to humanize the people that we see go off to war, to show that they are, in fact, real people with real backgrounds, ups and downs, all of it. This facet of the story is a compelling one that I enjoyed immensely albeit occasionally frustrating.

Additionally, I liked Woolf's fractured take on English grammar. This might not seem groundbreaking, but when you read enough books, using a semi-colon to break-up a list of actions has a much greater effect than using a comma. Although much of this grammar was bad from a formal perspective, it gave the story more movement and balance. I thoroughly enjoyed Jacob's Room; I can only hope that I also enjoy the Waves.

Update: As the case were, I did enjoy The Waves. Much like ocean waves, there is an initial impenetrability, but that soon passes once one lets the waves flow over their body and absorb them. I would tell anyone who wants a real story to steer clear. If you are looking for an experimental film on paper, this would fit well. If you are looking for something dangerous, the waves would also work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jacob's Room & The Waves.