Tom Meade's Reviews > Bridget Jones's Diary

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

Oct 09, 11

bookshelves: humour, socio-historical-enquiry
Recommended to Tom by: Every woman I know rants and raves about this crap like it's a new wonder drug that suffuses you with feminism
Read from October 06 to 09, 2011

It's funny, in a breakneck, breathless sort of way. The main character is clearly an imbecile but not without her positive qualities. I suppose the moral of this book is that when you get on the sex train you never really think about where it's gonna stop until you've reached the end of the line. So buy a car, or even a bicycle. The first symbolises wealth and power, and will get you laid, the second will trim your arse and makes you attractive to socially conscious solicitors, who you can then marry.

I don't know she appears self reflexive but ultimately it's clear that her insights are shallow and obvious and she's really just a cowardly narcissist. I enjoyed the character Miss Fielding created, anyway. Funny! A bit like Absolutely Fabulous, what with the constant pop cultural and faddish references. The mother is a pretty brilliant piece of terrible, too. Deserves to be talked into getting a facial with a cheese grater - the latest thing! I liked it!

Sad that so many women think and act like this, even when they weren't born into a hellish middle class straight jacket. I suppose you get torn between two extremes at times. Plus some people are just hopeless drunks (o/)

Now to breeze through the sequel and get back on track with my reading target.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridget Jones's Diary.