Dorine White's Reviews > Wildwing

Wildwing by Emily Whitman

Oct 09, 11

Last month I went to KidLitCon in Seattle. I had a great time and met lots of wonderful writers and bloggers. I came home with lots of great books and ideas. One of those books, given to me by the author herself, is a YA historical romance that I’d love to share with you. So I’m giving away the signed copy that she gave me to review.

Wildwing is a 359 page YA novel written by Emily Whitman and published by Greenwillow.

The Story- Addy lives in 1913 and is very uncomfortable with her social standing. Forced to leave school and take a job as a day maid, Addy wishes she could leave her miserable life.

Enter Mr. Greenwood, Addy’s new employer, a kind old man who isn’t quite right in the head after losing his son years before. Addy and her boss share a remarkable kinship and Addy despairs when her mother forces her to quit the job. In a moment of pique, Addy enters Mr. Greenwood’s forbidden library and discovers a time machine that takes her into the past.

Mistaken for Lady Matilda, Addy starts to find out what life is like on the other side of the street. With jewels, gowns and even hunting birds, Addy accepts the life and a future marriage to the lord of the keep.

Of course, things get a little messed up when she falls for the falconer’s son Will and Mr. Greenwood actually comes back into the past to rescue her.

My thoughts - I graduated with a BA in Humanities, thus I love all things that show history and culture. This book does a wonderful job of including great historical facts to spice up the story. I enjoyed reading about the people in both 1913 and in the 1500’s (I was never sure of the date). The character of Addy is the most vibrant in the book. From the very beginning she feels she deserves more in life than what is decided by her birth status. I also liked the way that the author worked in Addy’s lack of knowledge of the past. By feigning an injury, she is able to learn about customs and traditions before she has to use them and not look like an imposter.

SPOILER*** The romance between Addy and Will is simple and more of a subplot. I for one figured out who Will was right away, it just seemed kind of obvious, but it was fun reading about Addy figuring it out. Of course at the end when they are separated you hope things will work out. Then we come to the one part of the book that stretched a little too far. I love fantasy and could totally believe that Mr. Greenwood built a time machine. However, in the end, I could not believe that he was able to make one in the 1500’s with wood and metal. There just isn’t the technology to make it work. That being said, I let it slide because I was happy to have Addy and Will back together.

Overall I enjoyed this book. It was a great read and had great touches of history with a twist of fantasy. I’d judge it good for readers 12 and up.
www.dorinewhite.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wildwing.