John E. Branch Jr.'s Reviews > The Fortune of War

The Fortune of War by Patrick O'Brian

Oct 22, 11

bookshelves: fiction-historical, warfare-history, fiction-modern-british, fiction-contemporary
Read from October 09 to 21, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

Comments, not a review:

It was only by mistake that I read this twice. Though the other volumes of the Aubrey-Maturin series that I've read are on my shelf, this one wasn't. Not until I had bought and read part of it did I have the feeling of having been here before. I didn't mind at all and kept going, glad to be back in the Age of Sail, when life and war were much different, though also much the same.

Every time I finish one, and especially this one, which leaves off somewhat in the middle of things, I'm tempted to do what a friend did, which is to go straight to the next and continue without stopping until reaching the end of the series. So far I've preferred to read them at intervals, always having another voyage ahead of me. This is pointless; my friend has found that by re-reading the full set he, too, always has another voyage ahead. He's given the series six readings so far, and someone else I know has made the circuit more than a dozen times. Maybe they're like the true sailors in these books, such as Captain Jack Aubrey, who feel most at ease when they've got a deck beneath their feet again, and I more resemble Stephen Maturin (apologies for the self-flattery), just as glad, if not more so, to return to the possibilities on land.

Come to think of it, that's not a bad way of saying that more than one type of person can find himself (or maybe herself) in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fortune of War.