Kristin's Reviews > Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions

Enthralled by Melissa Marr

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: ya, urban-fantasy, paranormal-romance, sci-fi, own, contemp, fantasy, author-signed
Read from October 24, 2011 to January 23, 2012

This anthology did not disappoint me in the least! I read this around Halloween and it fit into the holiday season perfectly. Every story flowed into the next. When some got too "heavy", along came a story to rescue the mood. Here's my non-spoilery review of each story I read (and didn't read):

Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray - A very sweet, touching short story that had me wishing for more of Ravenna and Cairo's story. I added Claudia Gray to my TBR pile. 4/5

Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan - Intense and generally freakin' outstanding! 5/5

Red Run by Kami Garcia - One of the best Halloween tales in this book. 4/5

Things about Love by Jackson Pearce - As soon as I finished this one, I ran to Goodreads to look at the series and promptly added As You Wish to my TBR pile. Loved the world! 4/5

Niederwald by Rachel Vincent - I couldn't resist reading this one without having read any of the Soul Screamers series. I wanted to see what Ms. Vincent's writing was like. I was able to understand the world in the short amount of time that a short story provides. I really liked the character of Sabine and I questioned if I would like Kaylee when I got into the series. Turns out, I love Kaylee so far (I'm doing the Soul Screamers Challenge right now) so we'll see what happens when Sabine enters the picture. 4/5

Merely Mortal by Melissa Marr - I skipped this story because I'm in the middle of reading the Wicked Lovely series, which this story is from. I believe I may have spoiled the series for myself because I couldn't control my curiosity and I started reading it. That'll teach me! no rating

Facing Facts by Kelley Armstrong - I skipped this story, as well, because it's a part of the Darkest Powers world she created and I wanted to wait to read the trilogy before I read this short story. no rating

Let's Get This Undead Show On The Road by Sarah Rees Brennan - This story was okay. It took me a little bit to figure out what was going on. Ms. Brennan had to spend quite a bit of the story setting up the world and dynamics of the characters before getting to the actual "drama" of the story. I may be a little critical of the story because the basic idea behind the story just kind of bothered me. So take my review of this story with a grain of salt. 3/5

Bridge by Jeri Smith-Ready - This story was in a format I have never read before. The format was a perfect fit for the sad tale. I really enjoyed this story and thought it was very well written. 4/5

Skin Contact by Kimberly Derting - This story comes from the Body Finder series. I think this part of Enthralled is where they decided to put all the sad stories because this one just tore me up. I can't say anything else... 5/5

Leaving by Ally Condie - I was curious about Ms. Condie's writing because I have Matched sitting in my TBR pile waiting for me. I liked this story and I thought she succeeded in writing a very "deep" piece in a short amount of pages. 3.5/5

At The Late Night, Double Feature, Picture Show by Jessica Verday - This was a quirky story that reminded me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It was a fun read after all the serious stuff. I would like to see what a series would be like with the main character (if there is a series, I couldn't find it). 3/5

IV League by Margaret Stohl - Meh, this one just wasn't my "cup of tea". It was a well written story, don't get me wrong. But in an anthology, you're bound to run across something that isn't to your tastes. 3/5

Gargouille by Mary E. Pearson - I loved the fairy-tale-ish world of this love story. I just re-read it again and I got chills up my arms the second time, even knowing how it ends! That's a good story! 5/5

The Third Kind by Jennifer Lynn Barnes - This one is peculiar. You just kind of have to go along for the ride. Just a little warning: I didn't find all the closure I needed. Where's the series when you need it?! 3/5

Automatic by Rachel Caine - Finally, I skipped this one but I'm SURE it was outstanding. Why do I know that? Because it's Rachel Caine! Okay, so I'm biased.... I skipped this one because I'm only halfway through the Morganville Vampires series and this story is from that series. You're probably asking yourself, "Why is she such a big fan of Rachel Caine if she's only halfway through Morganville?" Three words: Weather Warden series! One of the first UF series I read non-stop! Brilliant. But I digress... no rating.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enthralled.

10/25/2011 page 80
18.0% "Perfect reading for the Halloween season!!!"
10/30/2011 page 392
88.0% "I've picked up more authors for my TBR.... The husband will not be thrilled!"
12/01/2011 page 392
88.0% "I've set this one aside b/c I've read all the stories that stand alone or I already know the series. The only ones left are the stories in series I'm behind on..."
show 1 hidden update…