Lisa Elizabeth's Reviews > Changes

Changes by Jim Butcher

Nov 11, 2011

bookshelves: fae-fairies, fantasy, horror, mystery, supernatural, vampires, weres-shifters, witches, demons, favorites
Read in October, 2013

This book was incredible. I spent a lot of time crying while reading. When I finished it, I didn't know how Jim Butcher could possibly continue the series. I was glad to be shown in 'Ghost Story' that he knew exactly how to switch everything up without ruining the characters and relationships that make this series so wonderful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Changes.

Quotes Lisa Liked

“Ack!" I said.

Fearless master of the witty dialogue, that's me.”

Jim Butcher
“I'm trying to be diplomatic. The wisdom of my ass is well-known. If I didn't lip off to them, after shooting my mouth off to faerie queens and Vampire Courts--plural, Courts--demigods and demon lords, they might get their feelings hurt.”

Jim Butcher
“Murphy hung up and I said, to the still-open line, "Hey, if you've got someone watching my place, could you call the cops if anyone tries to steal my Star Wars poster? It's an original."

Then I vindictively hung up on the FBI. It made my inner child happy.”

Jim Butcher
“She frowned at me. "You need some rest. You look like hell. And you're obviously tired enough to have gotten the giggles."

Wizards don't giggle," I said, hardly able to speak. "This is cackling.”

Jim Butcher
“Shame, child, is for those who fail to live up to the ideal of what they believe they should be." She waved her hand. "It was shame that drove me to my queen, to beseech her aid." Her long, delicate fingers idly moved to the streaks of white in her otherwise flawless red tresses. "But she showed me the way back to myself, through exquisite pain, and now I am here to watch over my dear godson--and the rest of you, as long as it is quite convenient."

Spooky death Sidhe lady," Molly said. "Now upgraded to spooky, crazy death Sidhe lady.”

Jim Butcher
“I realized then what had happened.

She had turned us--all of us, except for Mouse--into great, gaunt, long-legged hounds.

Wonderful!" Lea said, pirouetting upon one toe, laughing. "Come, children!" And she leapt off into the jungle, nimble and swift as a doe.

A bunch of us dogs stood around for a moment, just sort of staring at one another.

And Mouse said, in what sounded to me like perfectly understandable English, "That bitch.”

“Pansy," Murphy sneered.

Thomas leered at her. "You make my stamen tingle when you talk like that, Sergeant.”

Jim Butcher
“All right. Tell me what I'm looking at."

From the improvised Rolling Stones T-shirt bag tied to my sash, Bob the Skull said, in his most caustic voice, "A giant pair of cartoon lips."

I muttered a curse and fumbled with the shirt until one of the skull's glowing orange eye sockets was visible.

A big goofy magic nerd!" Bob said.”

Jim Butcher
“You're such a cynic," Molly said.

"I think cynics are playful and cute.”

Jim Butcher
“Wizards and computers get along about as well as flamethrowers and libraries.”

Jim Butcher
“You.... tapped that ass. Presumably it was, phat?”

Jim Butcher
“This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight.”

Jim Butcher
“the Female Once-Over--a process by which one woman creates a detailed profile of another woman based upon about a million subtle details of clothing, jewelry, makeup, and body type, and then decides how much of a social threat she might be. Men have a parallel process, but it's binary: Does he have beer? If yes, will he share with me?”

Jim Butcher
“You need to know where to go,' Sanya said.
'Yes,'
'And you are going to consult four large pizzas for guidance.'
'Yes,' I said.
...'There is, I think, humour here which does not translate well from English into sanity.'
'That's pretty rich coming from the agnostic Knight of the Cross with a holy Sword who takes his orders from an archangel.' I said.
- Harry Dresden & Sanya, Changes, Jim Butcher”