Ashlie's Reviews > Lord of Misrule

Lord of Misrule by Rachel Caine

Oct 16, 11

Read in October, 2011

The chess match has begun. Bishop has set the game in motion and he won't back down. Poor Claire (and many other innocent in Morganville) are caught in this deadly game. Every situation in this book is tied to everyone's survival, including Claire, Shane, Eve and Michael. They've really gotta watch each others backs now that Bishop and his lap dogs, Francois and Ysandre are schmoozin' around. Plus, Eve's psychotic brother is on the loose and no one knows what he'll do next or can even begin to suspect whose side of the war he'll join. Either way, it can't be good.

We get another new character in Hannah, who's a soldier recently returned from Afghanistan. I like her a lot; she's protective and commanding, but still endearing. She fits in with Claire's group nicely. Myrnin continues to confuse me. He NEVER makes it clear whose side he's on. Just when you think you know, he throws a curve ball at you. He never drops a hint or give any type of warning that something is up or that a change, even a drastic one, is coming.

There are HUGE power plays being prepared and we read how our quadrangle of friends/significant others/roommates get sucked into it all. Let me tell you...it. Is. Good. It's dramatic, action-packed and hysterical. With witty dialogue, intense, overwhelming emotions and desperate situations, we never know what decisions their going to be forced to make.

On top of the war and vampire politics, there is a brutal Texas storm headed to Morganville that can only make matters worse. Not everyone has positive or protective ties to the vampires though, and some would rather see them out of Morganville altogether. Some of the humans have broken up into vampire-hunting factions in an effort that can only be seen as futile, or just plain stupid. I'm sure it sounded like a good idea in their heads, but once their plan is set into motion, they might be awakening a really big giant.

So far, the series just keeps getting better. I'm dying to start the next book. I can't wait to see what happens to Shane & Claire's relationship, or to Michael & Eve's. The cliffhanger endings don't bother me too bad because I'm reading the books almost directly after each other.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of Misrule.