Lindsey's Reviews > The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances

The Heart Mender by Andy Andrews

Oct 29, 11

Read from October 09 to 26, 2011

Andy Andrews was a speaker at Women of Faith last year (Oct 2010) in Mpls, MN. My mom purchased this book during the conference and has been passing it around ever since. now, my mom is not a reader, so the fact that she not only purchased this book, but also read it is say a lot.

At first Andy Andrews reminded me of a 5-year-old, bouncing off the walls and jumping from topic to topic faster than tennis ball. I couldn't even follow what he was saying much less hope to imagine where he was going. But then his second session was more coherent and I find that even a whole year later I still remember some of the key points. He made a strong case for the difference between mistakes and sins; the fact that saying you're sorry doesn't mean squat if you use it in the wrong situation. "Sorry" is for when you make mistakes. When you sin, making that right takes forgiveness.

Forgiveness is a central theme to this book. Not only does it deliver a message, but gives an interesting look into an overlooked section of a prominent portion of U.S. and world history: German U-boats in the Gulf of Mexico during WWII. I personally had zero knowledge about any of this before reading this book, and it has inspired me to do a little wiki-research. Fascinating. Why doesn't anyone teach about this stuff?

In any event, an inspiring, well-told story with a few tid-bits for the aspiring historian among us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart Mender.