Julianna Helms's Reviews > Shine

Shine by Jeri Smith-Ready

Oct 09, 2011

bookshelves: bam-covers, best-boys, own-arc, re-read-status, recent-favorites, starred-reviews
Recommended for: you, you, and YOU.
Read from April 11 to 12, 2012

Actual, full reaction: Original is here. (Note: Due to copy-and-paste, formatting and links have been lost.)

There's a very distinct reason why the Shade trilogy is one that I fall in love with again and again: its intensity is unmatched, of both romance and need.

I think... I thought about this book a lot after finishing it, because I didn't know how I felt. Was I content? Of course. Was I angry? Perhaps. Was I depressed? Yes. But now I realize that my mixture of emotions were really my way of denying that this old friend of mine is done. Finished. (There's still Zach's novella Shattered coming this summer, of course, but you know what I mean.)

"If you ask me how I'm doing, I would say I'm doing just fine. I would lie and say that you're not on my mind." -Not Over You, a song by Gavin Degraw.

If you mentally replace "you" (except the first "you") with "this book," then that's the perfect description. I'm a bit crushed, honestly. It's been so long since I've actually finished a series, since now so many books are series and we're still waiting for the next installments. I've forgotten how it feels like to lose such a dear friend, one who you could count on for years. They don't disappear, but now it's more like something that you try so hard to grip and understand, but can't anymore; they're like liquid water: unholdable yet familiar.

Of course, this won't be a sufficient review for #TeamKilt until my GIFs start stealing the page, no? Ah, here goes! (Note: Click on the GIFs to view them in a larger size.)

***(this is not part of the actual review: THE FOLLOWING INCLUDE GIFs. To see them, please click on the "original" link I provided above. Thanks!)
I received Shine in the mail.
The beginning: Are you freakin' KIDDING me?
WHAT IZ THIZ MADNEZ.
*finds out certain stuff* HUMPH! I REFUSE TO BELIEVE IT!
OH OH OH.
That guy reminds me of Dylan...
AWZ. <3
No caption needed.
It's the climax!!! O.O
WAT JUST HAPPENDZ.
YOU GO, AURA!!!

That is me, in response to your intake of sharp breath at my last GIF.
AHAHAHAHA I SCARED YA!!! :D I was KIDDING! (maybe...)
So yeah, that's me at the end of the book.
And Jeri Smith-Ready has therefore succeeded.***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shine.