Elizabeth 's Reviews > Portrayals of Joan of Arc in Film: From the Historical Joan to Her Mythological Daughters

Portrayals of Joan of Arc in Film by Margaret Joan Maddox

Oct 09, 11

did not like it
bookshelves: nonfiction-gender, nonfiction-cultural-criticism, nonfiction-history-medieval
Read in October, 2011

Head, meet desk. Desk, meet head.

I should have known better than to expect much of this: the frontispiece of this book is a terrible piece of fanart, drawn by the author's son-in-law, of Joan and Buffy. Buffy: does not even slightly resemble Buffy. And then in the list of "daughters of Joan of Arc," Maddox includes Wonder Woman, Princess Leia, Supergirl, Xena, Max, and Pez. Somehow, ELLEN RIPLEY did not make it into that list. If you're talking about the Autonomous Woman, the warrior woman, Ripley really truly has to be on the list. (Maddox is aware of James Cameron; she dismisses Sarah Connor as a "mother" rather than an autonomous woman.)

The Joan of Arc section is fine, if uninspired. The discussion of C.20 films, however, is unsophisticated, and the Buffy section is not a good example of BtVS scholarship. A unleavened blend of history, pop culture, Jungian psychology (I can't judge the Jungian stuff, as I think it's all bullshit). I cannot recommend this in any way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Portrayals of Joan of Arc in Film.